Beer worth not fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made my first batch of beer yesterday using Coopers malt extract (Australian Pale Ale). Here’s the problem, I used an expired Coopers malt extract which expired roughly 2 months ago, November 2010. I guess this should not be the real problem but please advice if you think otherwise.

Here’s the deal with my brew at the moment, it’s been 15 hours since I last put the brewing yeast into the wort and nothing has happen ever since. No fermentation and no bubbles coming out from the airlock. When I added the yeast into the wort the temperature was about 32 Celsius and I don’t think that was hot enough to kill it.

I guess my question to you all is, do you think because I used an expired malt extract and the yeast that comes with it, the yeast could have died from old age – so to speak. When I peep into the fermentation bucket, all I see are my yeast doing nothing. I don’t expect them to put on a show for me but at least some foam would be good.

Thanks in advance for your replies and happy year new.

I think you should give it more time, 15 hours probably just isn't enough time trust the yeast and if you still have issues in 2-3 days then you can worry. However when you say they aren't doing anything, how do you know they aren't doing anything are you relying on the airlock?

Hello Ben,

I'm relying on the airlock and also I've been peeping into the brew bucket every so often to see some form of change.

What should I be looking out for the next few days?

Don't worry about it. The airlock is not always a good indicator of fermentation activity, and 15 hours isn't nearly enough time to write off the batch. Give it 2 weeks and CHECK IT WITH A HYDROMETER.

Hello Ben,

I'm relying on the airlock and also I've been peeping into the brew bucket every so often to see some form of change.

What should I be looking out for the next few days?

First off, to answer your original question, slightly out-of-date extract is no problem as long as it smells like wort and isn't moldy.

As for what you should be looking out for, it's this: Nothing.

What I mean is that you're overthinking things. Man has been brewing beer for 4000+ years, most of it without airlocks, sanitizers, hydrometers, or even an understanding of what turns wort into beer. At this point, you've done everything you can. Take that fermenter, put it in a cool (65-70F), dark place, and ignore it for two weeks. Let the yeast do what they're genetically programmed to do. You can't fix anything, and you can't make anything better.

So, put that beer in the closet, and treat it like a red-headed stepchild. It doesn't need food, or water, or love, or music, or anything except some time. All you can do at this point is make things bad. Everything's fine. Really.

I'll give it two weeks and see what happens.

Because I bake so i know how fast bakers yeast react but this is a whole new chapter in brewing beer. I can see the yeast the way it was 10 hours ago and now. Still no change.

Don't worry. It's been only a small amount of time.

Brewing yeast and baking yeast do work very differently from each other. It's not uncommon to see brewing yeast take 3 days or more to get going, especially for new brewers who haven't got all the more complicated yeast management techniques down.

I know it's hard to wait, but is can be 72 hours before your yeast really gets going.

Thanks guys, I'll keep everyone posted in the coming weeks on my progress.

By the way, is it best to keep dry yeast in the fridge?

guys,

i just remember something, I use Iodophor as my cleaning solution and the instruction says that i should drip dry on areas which will come in contact my beer. So I'm thinking could this have kill my yeast?

It has past the 24 hour mark and still no good news from the beer fermenting bucket!

Have you ready Charlie Papazian's book? If not, here's what you need to do right this instant: Relax, Don't Worry, and Have a Homebrew (if one's available - if not, a nice craft brew will do!). :mug:

Oh, and read this thread.

If you go several days with no sign of activity, then it might be time to worry. Maybe. But 24 hours, depending on the yeast strain and all sorts of other factors, can still be too soon for activity! ;)

I'd echo everyone else and say set it and forget it.

If you're worried, buy an extra packet of dry yeast. Maybe Nottingham or Safale S-04. That way if in a week or two the SG hasn't changed, you can repitch.

Your malt isn't the problem. The yeast may be iffy but I doubt it.

It'll be fine. RDWHAHB.

Thanks guys,

alright i need to worry less and have faith. say on the 3rd day and nothing happens, can i use bakes yeast?

Charlie Papazian's book, nope but something to look forward to when the next time i visit the local book store. thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks guys,

alright i need to worry less and have faith. say on the 3rd day and nothing happens, can i use bakes yeast?

Nope - Baker's yeast won't do the same magic beer yeast will. If anything, do like HerotBrewer suggests; if you have a local brew shop, just go pick up a packet of one of the yeasts he suggests if things don't pick up in a few days. If you don't have a local brew shop, maybe order one of those (assuming they're both dry yeasts) now, so you'll have it in case you need it. If you don't, well then, you can use it on a future batch!

I'll give it two weeks and see what happens.

Because I bake so i know how fast bakers yeast react but this is a whole new chapter in brewing beer. I can see the yeast the way it was 10 hours ago and now. Still no change.

Brewing beer is like making a nice sourdough bread. You take your mother, and make a sponge. You let your sponge ferment over night and then you take your sponge and make your batch of bread. You let that batch rise in a warm place, then you make your breads and let them ferment for a couple of days in the fridge and then you bake them.

Patience is key.

hello guys,

Take a look at my wort. This is a picture taken 48 hours after I added in my yeast.

DSC_0255.JPG

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0257.JPG

See those brown dots? Those are either my lazy or dead yeast. From your vast years of experiance in brewing, what do you think this could be? Should I be hopeful or prepare for the worse?

Was in my local oganic shop earlier and came across this stuff - all natural brewers yeast. Please advice if I should start adding this in from the pictures you saw.
DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0253.JPG

Thank you so much for your replies. n

That type of brewers yeast is used as a nutritional supplement. Not the same.
From wiki:
It is a deactivated yeast, usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is an excellent source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, whose functions are related to metabolism as well as other minerals and cofactors required for growth.

I would worry myself. If it were me I'd pick up a packet of dry yeast and sprinkle it in. Despite the million posts to the contrary I think 72 hours is way too much time, I would not wait more than 36 hours for the yeast to start a healthy fermentation.

As I recall the yeast in the coopers kits are 7 grams, not really enough, and if the can was expired then the yeast in the kit was as well.

Guess what, my wort is finally fermenting. I can see a nice thick layer of brown foam forming at the top and the air lock is bubbling at a happy rate, at about every 10-15sec I would say. What a pleasant change and you were right; I should have sit back and be patience.

Now my other worry is contamination. I hope I have done everything right and nothing wrong when I took off the lid to take some photos.

That type of brewers yeast is used as a nutritional supplement. Not the same.
From wiki:
It is a deactivated yeast, usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is an excellent source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, whose functions are related to metabolism as well as other minerals and cofactors required for growth.

HerotBrewer, Thanks for pointing that out. I knew it was too good to be true. I presume this means it wont ferment and well at least i know i have a good source of protien for the coming months.

Guess what, my wort is finally fermenting. I can see a nice thick layer of brown foam forming at the top and the air lock is bubbling at a happy rate, at about every 10-15sec I would say. What a pleasant change and you were right; I should have sit back and be patience.

Now my other worry is contamination. I hope I have done everything right and nothing wrong when I took off the lid to take some photos.

It really isn't good practice to be taking the lid of your fermentation vessel to look inside. You took it off to take the pictures, but indicated in earlier posts that you took off the lid a few times to have a peek inside. I would try to avoid this in the future as much as possible. I have pitched yeast and not seen any action in my airlock for close to 65 hours. Be patient.

As they say...Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew...and if you don't have any, drive to PA and we can share some.

+1 to all of the comments about not opening it up to look. If your yeast was truly dead, you could have introduced wild yeast during your frequent checks and some possible unwanted critters (infection!)... It's likely that everything is fine and you will have beer in a few weeks, but keep these warnings in mind the next time you brew. Be patient!

HerotBrewer, Thanks for pointing that out. I knew it was too good to be true. I presume this means it wont ferment and well at least i know i have a good source of protien for the coming months.

On that note, I know alot of guys throw a teaspoon of normal bakers yeast into THE BOIL. That dead yeast provides necessary food and nutrients for your yeast as they're taking off.

Hello all,

Firstly, pardon the bad video quality on youtube. What you're seeing is a video recording of my beer fermentation at 10 days. Being a newbie and as I mention earlier because I used an expired coopers malt and yeast, do you think this is a normal fermentation process?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going great! Has it really been 10 days already?

Yes it has and as of today, it is the 11th day. I took a sip of it yesterday and I was very delighted of what is going on in my fermenting bucket. I was prepared for an off sour taste and was ready for the worse but it was not the case. My 10th day wort (is that what you call it?) had subtle signs and taste of a great tasting ale to come although the malt extract was still overpowering. From my previous posts and reading, I'm going to just let it sit in the primary till end of Jan.

Latest posts

Back