Beer won't flow through dispensing line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie884

Reaction score
I forced carbonated and let the keg sit under pressure for a few days (12 psi at 60 degrees). When trying to dispense, no beer flows through the lines. It starts to foam at the disconnect and slowly move, but nothing else happens. I took the lid off to check for leaks and proper lube and I saw that the beer was definitely foamy and starting to rise.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

CO2 absorbs into a solution better at a lower temperature. Why are you keeping it at 60 degrees?

Also, according to BeerSmith's carbonation calculator 12psi at 60 degrees would carb 5 gallons of beer to 1.7 volumes of CO2. What level are you going for?

What kind of line and tap are you using?

For PJford15,

Corny keg--using the lines and tap from the HBS kit. Had a somewhat higher temperature due to a starter fermenting at 60 (it's good to go now). I'll try the pressure and the temp changes and see what happens.

Sounds like something is plugged up on the liquid side. The slow moving foam is often a sign of that. Like Bobby said, at 12 psi it should flow at a decent clip...unless something is obstructing the flow. If this is the case it's probably either the QD, post on the keg, or the dip tube.

Do you have any other known good QDs you could try (maybe a picnic tap line), just to verify the post and dip tube aren't clogged?

I had a similar issue with a recent keg of pale ale I had, it would just dispense foam then it stopped all together. It turns out when I put the post on, the poppet got in there all cockeyed. It seated fine but when the liquid connect was put on, it got pushed down and ended up twisting in the post somehow causing restriction. I had to take the post off and bend the legs of the poppet to get it to move right, after that, it poured perfectly. I'd check into that as well.

The lower temp and higher pressure did nothing. I was definitely thinking about a different QD.

@Brewinator, what tools or techniques are there (or a guide) for looking into the post issue? Could beer/yeast sediment be causing a clog?

I'm not sure on the sediment though I'd doubt it. I also do not know of any guide. I figured out my issue when I took the post off and set the poppet on a flat surface and noticed one of the legs was bent. When I tightened on the post, the poppet was uneven so when the liquid out went on and pushed it down, it twisted and shifted to the side causing it to only be open a fraction of what it should have. I fixed it by just using my leatherman to bend the legs until they were even and made sure it stayed centered when I tightened down the post and manually depressed the poppet with a tool.

All is good now. There was some gunk clogging the top of the dip tube and the poppet. Everything is flowing fine. Thanks for the help.

Back