Beer with too much gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello All,

Please have a look at this brew, its an Australian Pale brewed with a Coopers extract. I bottled my beer at week 4 when all the reading was consistent for 3 straight days. I added 1 tea spoon of fine sugar for each 750ml bottles. The beer taste horrible but its getting slightly better week after week and I'm going to keep it for a year and see what happens.

Anyway, from your experiance view point, you think this is alright?

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

It looks like a coca-cola... The only thing you need to worry about is exploding bottles, other than that, if it starts to taste good then hooray.

You can always pour heavy in the center of the glass to release a bunch of the CO2 before drinking.

Definitely pour it into a goblet or similar glass next time... in that glass it really just looks like soda.

The "beer" was not worthy enough to be in a proper beer glass and the only consolation I get out from this brew is the alcohol content.

I have seen enough photos in here to know that a good home brew doesnt look like that.

The "beer" was not worthy enough to be in a proper beer glass and the only consolation I get out from this brew is the alcohol content.

I have seen enough photos in here to know that a good home brew doesnt look like that.

What percentage is it and how long has it been bottled?

Did you boil the kit, or add anything to it? I drank a fair bit of Coopers Pale Ale, and made a few of the kits while I was living in Australia, and none of it looked like that. It should be a really light straw colour. Did you check the expiry date on the tin? Might have been sitting on a shelf too long.

Did you boil the kit, or add anything to it? I drank a fair bit of Coopers Pale Ale, and made a few of the kits while I was living in Australia, and none of it looked like that. It should be a really light straw colour. Did you check the expiry date on the tin? Might have been sitting on a shelf too long.

Nope, didnt boil it or added any other stuff. Just mix together hot water with sugar and extract. You're right, this can of Oz Pale Ale was slightly off its expiry date by 3-4 months if i remember correctly. I had it for sometime now and because it was my first time brewing, I wanted to make sure it was something i didnt mind pouring down the drain. You think that could have been the reason?

Yeah, if that's the colour it came out of the tin, then there's definitely something wrong with it. If it's getting better, then great, but maybe keep an eye on the expiry date next time :)

When I 1st got it, the expiry date was 1 1/2 years away. Kept it poorly and was sitting in my storage room till I had the time to play with it.
I now have a wheat beer fermenting and I hope this turns out great.

Back