"Beer with lager yeast cannot usually be clarified by finings "

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
This is a 4th statement which from my study for IBD general certificate in brewing in the context of commercial brewing for which I would like a clarification. The course says that in comparison with beer made with ale yeast, the beers which are made with lager yeast cannot usually be clarified by finings. I don't like the "usually" in that sentence but could someone explain to me why is this so with lager yeasts? Thanks!

I fine all my beers with gelatin in the keg. Lagers and ales. Never have a problem getting it crystal clear. Except with some big DIPAs, sometimes I have to fine them twice. Ofcourse, the difference is homebrew vs commercial scale and may not be relevant.

Some finings are not reinheitsgebot is that perhaps what it is referring to? Or perhaps that finings are not generally used in lager brewing as that is one of the purposes of lagering, to drop excess protein and yeasts etc

I've got a California Common (made, of course, w/ Lager yeast) and it's cleared wonderfully. I used gelatin to fine, after crashing to 32 degrees.

I've just put another fermenter of it into the fridge to crash. It's already fairly clear (sample from hydrometer cylinder, yum yum!), and I expect finings will only enhance that. BTW, it was 22 days in primary before I put it in to the fridge last night. Couple days to crash, then fine it, then keg and force carb. The last batch was 4 weeks to serving, this should be similar.

So, this would appear to be one of those exceptions.

Back