Beer too sweet and low in ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RishoBrew

Reaction score
I brewed an extract recipe of a dark beer recently as one of my first attempts to follow a recipe from a book. All my prior attempts were (2 in total) were from a purchased kit. So this one was calling a Wyeast 2006 Bavarian, my OG was 1.032 but because for lack of knowledge I only used one package of yeast. My FG at bottling time was 1.022 and now the beer not only low in ABV but also quite sweet. It has been a week since bottling and I just opened one to take sneak peak but more than 3/4 of the 12 oz. bottle fizzed out.

Is it possible to put back in to fermenter and pitch another package of yeast and let it "finish"? Thanks!

how long did you leave it in the fermentor? thats a low OG one pack of yeast should be MORE than enough. either it was bad yeast or you did not let it ferment long enough.

how long did you leave it in the fermentor? thats a low OG one pack of yeast should be MORE than enough. either it was bad yeast or you did not let it ferment long enough.

10 days in the fermenter, but there wasn't much activity after about 5 days.

sounds like bad yeast then. you could try putting it back in the fermentor as long as you try to not splash it and introduce oxygen, then repitch. prob your only option. I would give it more time in the primary next time anyway, if it is not done fermenting it will in the bottle and cause bottle bombs.

sounds like bad yeast then. you could try putting it back in the fermentor as long as you try to not splash it and introduce oxygen, then repitch. prob your only option. I would give it more time in the primary next time anyway, if it is not done fermenting it will in the bottle and cause bottle bombs.

Thanks for your replies. So I put another bottle in a fridge for a little while before I pored it and performed my "patented" empty stomach test and have to conclude that I must have measured the FG incorrectly. Other than a rather full taste still on sweeter end it's drinkable. :rockin: Cheers!

Latest posts

Back