Beer Taste Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramsbottom_Brewer

Reaction score
Its only my second brew so I may be missing something. I brewed a Stout and bottled it. (Pre hopped kit Black Pearl - Irish Stout). Left it in the primary for three weeks as it took a while to get down to the correct final gravity. Both OG and FG hit what the instructions noted. Bottled the lot and left them for three weeks at room temp.

The taste is not what I would expect. It is drinkable but not particularly good. I can only describe it at a bit off-ish. It lack the body and hit of a stout.

My questions:

1. If it was infected would it be drinkable?
2. Is it just young and green?
3. Shall I stop worrying, bin the instructions and wait/

How would you describe a green beer to a novice?

Thanks.

Mark

There's a bunch of threads describing green beer....this is a fairly good one..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/green-beer-can-someone-describe-117046/

Generally speaking the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we recommend is only a guideline, a minimum...the higher the grav, the longer it takes to carb and condition. Don't forget, just because a beer is fizzy doesn't mean it is still not green, and tastes like a$$...

I've had stouts and porters take 4-6 weeks to carb...I have a 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark Ale that is 2.5 months in the bottle and it is barely beginning to carb up, I don't think it will even begin to stop tasting green and like rocket fuel for about another 2-3 months....

Hell during the winter I am lucky if I get ANY BEER to carb up inn 8 weeks, since my loft stays in the low 60 all winter...I wrap them in sleeping bags and other things to keep them warm.

Read this,

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Pre hoped kits are kind of like making one of those frozen chicken stirfrys.If it's fresh it'll probably be pretty good,but not as good as if you seasoned it yourself.Just my2 cents.

Latest posts

Back