Beer taste alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi

My last 3 brews have a very strong alcohol taste and and smell. For exemple, I opened the fermenter to transfert in keg and the empty fermenter was smelling strong alcohol in all my apartment

I thought it was fuzel alcohol caused by too high temperature, so I made a brew in my keezer at 59 just to test. Same result again.

I dont understand what im doing wrong. The only thing different from my usual (only about 13 brews) is that I use a plastic fermenter instead of a glass one and I don't do secondary fermentation. The salesperson told me that it was not necessary.

I also suspected that I could have put the yeast at too high a temperature before cooling, so I wait until the next day before putting the yeast. This does not solve the problem.

Just for information, the 3 last beer was wheat ale, two hefe, one belgian strong. I dont know if this can help

Do somebody have an idea of what could cause this?

Thank

I thought it was fuzel alcohol caused by too high temperature, so I made a brew in my keezer at 59 just to test. Same result again.

Did you have a sensor on the fermenter? Just setting the fermenter in the keezer might not have kept the beer as cool as you think. Once started the heat given off by the yeast will speed up the reaction which will give off more heat. You really need to have some kind of controller.

Back