Beer storage until cold crashing.......?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
Good morning. I want to do a lot of experimenting with the BIAB method, so that I can create smaller batches and adjust future batches quicker. Just thinking ahead, if storage becomes an issue at some point, can kegged wort post fermentation be left unfrigerated? I plan on primary fermenting in a carboy and then transferring to a corney to finish naturally carbonating (dyi guage attached). How long at this point can beer be stored? Once ready I would cold crash and serve. I also own a 5lb co2 tank. Thank you.

Yes. However, some beers age better than others. You have to take that into account. Store in basement where temps are cooler, and generally more stable. It’s important to purge any air out of the keg with your co2 tank.

My goals are to make IPAs and eventually saison. I have 2.5 gal kegs. I haven’t considered purging co2 yet.

If you have a co2 tank why not just get a regulator and set it and forget it. Then youll have a perfectly carbed keg when your ready.

It's not so much how long it will last but more when it will be past its prime.
If your plan is to make IPA's youd be better off not storing them for long. 3 weeks from brew day is what many consider to be when an IPA is at its prime. Pretty much brew it, ferment it, carb it, drink it with no storage...never made a saison. Cant stand em'

Ok. I was concerned more about temp control during that time. Just didn’t want to have to cold crash and then be forced to keep cold right away bc of space limitations. So, I can condition in my basement for a three weeks and then cold crash and serve? Trying to make a rotation of trial beers more easy to handle.

Also need to figure out how to purge a keg prior to transfer from primary. I was hoping to transfer and then spundle to remove O2. Saving co2 for serving only. Spundling have limited followers?

Back