Beer smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moneycoach

Reaction score
I just downloaded beer smith recipe software; however, i have not a clue how to actually build my own recipe...i've only brewed from kits thus far. where do you start to build the recipe (adding ingredients) and then how do you figure out how the recipe should move forward, i.e. how long to steep, how much to use, when and how much hops to add...what type of yeast to use??? so many questions...

I look at bjcp guidelines. I then look at a couple of different recipes for a style of beer that i want to brew and see what is in common. I do all my calcs for o.g. target, ibu target, and lbs of grain needed. Usually the steps of brewing is similar from on recipe to the next. Brew it up and wait to taste. Then you can make notes in what you would change next time you want to brew that recipe.

To learn about how to select and combine the ingredients and create your own recipes check out some books like Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels (my bible) and Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

I am a big fan of Designing Great Beers, but it really helps to have a sort of baseline understanding of what different ingredients taste, smell, and look like individually before it becomes useful.

Back