Beer separating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancphotog

Reaction score
I just racked my Belgium Wit(with corriander and orange peel) to 2ndary yesterday. This morning there was a thin dark stripe at the top of the carboy. Now it's even bigger. I have no idea what's causing this. Perhaps the oils from the orange peels are separating? Here's a pic. Let me know whatcha think! Thanks in advance. Don't know what I'd do with out this community!
photo-1.jpg

That's a picture of a good thing -- your yeast and various break materials that made it into your secondary fermenter are settling out which will give you clearer beer. That is normally what happens after fermentation. It looks darker than it will in the glass because you're looking through so much liquid.

Simple enough. I guess this is the first brew that I could actually see that happening.
Thanks!

It was in primary for 12 days. When I did the hydro it looked liked the Belgium Wits I've had before.

be careful though. a wit shouldn't be clear, and that's one style that probably shouldn't have a secondary or even too long of a primary.

I did a 3 day secondary on a wit and it ended up almost crystal clear...good beer, but too clear.

Latest posts

Back