Quantcast

Beer separating?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dancphotog

Reaction score
I just racked my Belgium Wit(with corriander and orange peel) to 2ndary yesterday. This morning there was a thin dark stripe at the top of the carboy. Now it's even bigger. I have no idea what's causing this. Perhaps the oils from the orange peels are separating? Here's a pic. Let me know whatcha think! Thanks in advance. Don't know what I'd do with out this community!

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
That is yeast settling out of your beer. The top is clear beer, and the bottom is the gunk falling out.

mkling

Reaction score
That's a picture of a good thing -- your yeast and various break materials that made it into your secondary fermenter are settling out which will give you clearer beer. That is normally what happens after fermentation. It looks darker than it will in the glass because you're looking through so much liquid.

OP
dancphotog

dancphotog

Reaction score
Simple enough. I guess this is the first brew that I could actually see that happening.
Thanks!

OP
dancphotog

dancphotog

Reaction score
It was in primary for 12 days. When I did the hydro it looked liked the Belgium Wits I've had before.

malkore

Reaction score
be careful though. a wit shouldn't be clear, and that's one style that probably shouldn't have a secondary or even too long of a primary.

I did a 3 day secondary on a wit and it ended up almost crystal clear...good beer, but too clear.