Beer ropey on day 2 - no pedio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I was doing an experiment where I boiled up a 3 gallon wheat extract batch. I added some yogurt and probiotics, split it into three 1 gallon carboys to let it sour over a day or two. My plan was to pitch dregs that I'd propped up from 3 different commercial beers, and see how they compared when they were finished. After 2 day they were all ropey, and putting off massive co2. I pitched the mostly brett dregs anyway, but I may have lost some right away when the carboys began to foam back over. What would cause ropiness and such a massive output of CO2? And in such a short amount of time.

I've never heard of Pedio getting a beer sick that quick. Pretty wild, no pun intended. Hopefully someone be able to help, because i'm curious to see the responses now.

Okay, so I've checked the three carboys out, and they still look ropey, but they all look and smell different now. I think the yeasts are starting to take effect now. I'll just give them some time. Still curious what caused the ropiness. I dont know enough about bacteria, which ones produce CO2, and what cause ropiness. I know pedio can cause the ropey effect, but maybe there are others.

Back