Beer on my ceiling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromacster

Reaction score
I bottled a Lakefront Brewery Bridgeburner Partial Grain Kit from Northern brewer.

Brew day went well, fermentation seemed normal (although very vigorous).

The problem arose during the bottling stage. I bottled in 1L bottles with table sugar doing 5/8 cup in 2 cups of water mixed with 5 gallons of beer.

The bottles have very high amounts of carbonation. The first bottle I opened lost about half to foaming. I've had a few good bottles that seemed more normal, almost more champagne like though. Then recently I had a bottle that hit the ceiling when I opened it. Beer everywhere, it sucked.....but was actually pretty damn hilarious.

Any thoughts on wht is causing this? Was it just to much sugar?

Too much sugar in my estimation.

I used Beersmith to show one of my former Red Ales.

At 68 degrees, to attain 2.4 volumes of CO2, I added 4.12 Oz. of corn sugar to 5 full gallons of beer.

If you have less beer or it's sitting at a warmer temp, you will need to reduce the sugar (substantially in the case of higher bottling temperature...I adjusted the temp to 74 and the amt of sugar goes to 1.7 Oz.

Start kegging and using a CO2 tank to carbonate and this will be a thing of the past!

The Northern Brewer website has a priming calculator. At 70° it looks like you needed .46 cups. I would advise getting a scale and weighing your ingredients. how much is in a cup is inaccurate, it depends on how tight or loose the ingredient is in the cup.

You may be able to release some co2 by slightly loosening the cap. If you are careful you may be able to reseal the caps without using new ones.

Back