Beer not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape_Town

Reaction score
Hi guys

So I started 2 brews yesterday, 1 in my coopers micro brewery and the other in a new tank i bought with an airlock.

The beer in the airlock looks good, its been about 24 hours, the airlock is bubbling nicely and there seems to be a thick layer of gunk(im not sure what this stuff is) but the coopers batch which is Coopers IPA has not foamed or made any dirt on the side of the tank?

Should I be concerned, my thinking is the yeast hasnt taken? Should I leave it, stir it up or maybe even add more yeast?

Many thanks!

Craig

I would be concerned if it WAS making "dirt" on the side of your "tank". Relax and give it some more time. It can take up to 48 hours to show signs of an active fermentation. (FYI - that gunk is called Krausen)

I'd leave it and let it do its thing foray least 4 days before considering repitching

Yes, just give it more time. Some brews take longer than others to get going, and the same with different strains of yeast. Relax and let it do its thing. As Zogman noted, the gunk is krausen, which is (I believe) a layer of yeast, hops, and whatever other proteins are floating around in the beer. Krausen looks hideous at first, but you'll grow to love the sight of it. :)

It would help for you to share -

- What yeast you use?

- What was your pitch temp?

- What is your ferment temp?

Back