Beer Muddy in Fermentation (1st stage)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpacheco

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm brewing a batch of holiday beer. I put it into the first fermented on Sunday night (5 days ago). When the yeast is doing its thing I expect that the beer will be muddy as it churns. Usually, within 3-4 days, all the trub settles and the beer clarifies. My beer has not settled at all. The air lock is releasing a bubble about every 8-9 seconds. Need I be concerned?

muddybeer.jpg

No concern needed, it looks right.

Depending on yeast strain, temp, gravity, pitch rate, oxygenation, ect.. The yeast will take longer to finish it's job and more importantly to the topic at hand, drop out of solution.

at 5 days post pitch you shouldnt be thinking about anything but waiting a while longer anyways.

If you have a cold place where you can put that carboy, after it's completely done fermenting, store it at below 40*F for 5-7 days. That should help clear it up quite a bit.

Do you think it would be ok if I move it to a secondary like that? How if I filter it with cheese-cloth or a pany hose (someone suggested) while moving it to secondary?

Do you think it would be ok if I move it to a secondary like that? How if I filter it with cheese-cloth or a pany hose (someone suggested) while moving it to secondary?

Just transfer it. Leave it longer before transferring if you wish, but no, do not filter it through cheese cloth or pantyhose. It will do nothing useful.

Not a wheat but these are the grains I used:

12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Belgian
1 lb Munich Malt
.5 lb Caramel Crystal malt
.5 lb Caramunich malt
1.6 oz Black Patent
1 lb LDE

and I used Wyeast 1084 yeast

This recipe called for dried cherries (steeped and strained) to be added to the end of the boil and cinnamon sticks/vanilla bean during 2nd stage.

The beer is sitting in my office (where there is not heat for a few days). If it doesn't clear up there, I'll move it to the garage where it is REALLY cold.

Hi everyone who helped. I think I know what the problem is. The recipe called for me to steep and strain some dried cherries into the boil. Well, due to the pectins I've probably got jelly. According to this article: https://byo.com/stories/item/1602-what-is-the-purpose-of-pectic-enzyme-in-many-fruit-beer-recipes

That's not too much of a big deal - mainly a cosmetic issue. However, I'd prefer not to have the cloudy (muddy rather) beer. So, I'm told to use a pectic enzyme. I'll also stuck the beer in a fridge for a few days to see if that helps. I'll let you know how it turns out.

You could try some gelatin if you want to try and clear your beer.

This works best in the secondary or keg but you can dump it right in the primary, and even better if the beer is very cold.
Mix 1 tsp non‐flavored gelatin with 1/2 cup filtered water at room temperature. Let it sit for 20 minutes
(to “bloom”). Then heat the water to 150F to get it to completely dissolve, which is key. You can go to
160‐170F if needed (this will also sanitize it at that temp). It will look yellowish, but should be clear with
no particles. Be sure it doesn't boil (the gelatin will denature and not be effective). You can then pitch
into the beer, or optionally cool it down first before pitching. When pitched into beer, stirring is not
necessary.
Beer should clear within 3 days, but occasionally can take longer. If pitching into a keg the first couple
of pints from the keg will likely be hazy but clears up after those initial pours.

Back