Beer/ malt vinegar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justineaton

Reaction score
I recently brewed a bad batch of beer, I'm going to copy and paste the problem from a chart I used to work out what went wrong below. I'm wondering if this bad beer will make a good malt vinegar. I have five gallons of Apple cider vinegar ready to be bottled and was considering throwing the mother into this bad beer but I don't know if the medical band aid and clove flavor would carry over.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I didn't see anywhere it really fit so the off topic seemed best. Admins feel free to move it or delete it if it is inappropriate.

Medicinal

Tastes/Smells Like:
Cough syrup, mouthwash, Band-Aid™, smoke, clove-like (spicy)
Possible Causes:
A variety of different phenols are almost always the cause for medicinal flavors in beer.
Phenols can cause solvent, astringent, plastic and medicinal flavors. Medicinal-tasting
phenols are usually brought out during mashing and/or sparging and are caused by
incorrect pH levels, water amounts and temperatures. Using chlorine or iodine-based
sanitizers improperly can bring out Chlorophenols. Yeast also produces phenols, and
a clove-like characteristic is deliberate in some ale, especially Hefeweizen and other
wheat beers.
How to Avoid:
Follow proper mashing and sparging techniques and always follow the specific
directions for different sanitizers. Taking the same precautions to avoid Chlorophenols
and astringency should help to wipe out the chances of medicinal flavors. Always use
the proper yeast for the style of beer being brewed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back