Beer Log #2 - Mixed Fermentation 3-way split

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
I’m going to be doing another
9 gallon Farmhouse 3 way split this up coming week. I will be splitting into (3) - 3 gallon batches.. Below is the base recipe;

Grains
60% - Floor Malted Pilsner
30 % - Wheat Malt
10% - Flaked wheat
@148 for 75 minutes
5.3 mash ph

*** FV #1 (3gal) - Volume: 2.75 gals of wort ***
Beer: Sangria de Blanca
Copitched at 70*f being allowed to free rise to 78*f
Primary Yeast: M29 - French saison
Brettanomyces: Brett Bruxellensis WLP650 & Amalgamation II Brett blend WLP4641

After 36 hours of fermentation it will be inoculated again with L. plantarum using Renew Life Ultimate Flora - allowed to finish out

I will be adding the following nearing FG
1.5 lb - Pureed Peaches
1.0 lb - Puréed passion fruit
1.5 lb - Puréed white grapes
Zest of one medium orange
Dryhopped with 5 oz of Nelson hops
Oak chips will soak in 1L - of Sauvignon blanc for 2 weeks and then it will be blended to taste at bottling

*** FV#2 (3gal) - Volume: 2.75 gals of wort ***
Beer: Carolina v:2
Primary Yeast: M29 French Saison
BRETTANOMYCES: amalgamation II WLP4641

After 36 hours it will be inoculated again with L. plantarum using Renew Life Ultimate Flora - allowed to finish out

5 lb - Puréed Blackberries
Adding a tincture of 1 vanilla bean scrapped and diced at bottling
Dryhopped with 2 oz Citra 2 oz of mosaic

*** FV#3 (3gal) - Volume: 2.75 gals of wort ***
Targeting 20ibus
Beer: Local Project

Cultures: for this beer I will be using a cultured I propagated and blended from the dregs of two local breweries from two spontaneously fermentated beers

Indian Latter Farms - koelship (has a hop tolerant wild lacto strain and pof+Wild yeast, and whatever else lol)

Plan Bee brewing - Farm Beer dregs which consists of a blend of cultures from their bee hives.

WLP650 - Brett Bruxellensis blend

This beer will be aged on locally grown cherries.

I will be updating this thread as things begin to happen and if any changes are made

Last edited:
Subscribed! Very curious on that first one, I don't think I've ever done a 2oz/gal dry hopped mixed ferm beer, or even had one.

I once broke in a local sauv blanc barrel with a clean saison primary (wanted to see if it would sour or have any bugs leftover - it didn't), decided to do 2oz hallertauer blanc, 2oz nelson in a 5 gal keg, and that ended up being too much for that beer. I did another one with just 14g Galaxy and 12g Nelson and that was wonderful, bright and appropriately stonefruit + passionfruity + grapey. I wish I still had that keg and freshly dumped barrel...

Also love Plan Bee's beers and house funk character. It's so pithy/zesty. I haven't had the opportunity to innoculate their dregs but I'll bet that Kriek will be amazing.

I’m going to be doing another
9 gallon Farmhouse 3 way split this up coming week. I will be splitting into (3) - 3 gallon batches.. Below is the base recipe;

Grains
60% - Floor Malted Pilsner
30 % - Wheat Malt
10% - Flaked wheat
@148 for 75 minutes
5.3 mash ph

*** FV #1 (3gal) - Volume: 2.75 gals of wort ***
Beer: Sangria de Blanca
Primary Yeast: M29 - French saison
Brettanomyces: Brett Bruxellensis WLP650 & Amalgamation II Brett blend WLP4641

After 36 hours of fermentation it will be inoculated again with L. plantarum using Renew Life Ultimate Flora - allowed to finish out

1.5 lb - Pureed Peaches
1.0 lb - Puréed passion fruit
1.5 lb - Puréed white grapes
Zest of one medium orange
Dryhopped with 5 oz of Nelson hops
Oak chips will soak in 1L - of Sauvignon blanc for 2 weeks and then it will be blended to taste at bottling

*** FV#2 (3gal) - Volume: 2.75 gals of wort ***
Beer: Carolina v:2
Primary Yeast: M29 French Saison
BRETTANOMYCES: amalgamation II WLP4641

After 36 hours it will be inoculated again with L. plantarum using Renew Life Ultimate Flora - allowed to finish out

5 lb - Puréed Blackberries
Adding a tincture of 1 vanilla bean scrapped and diced at bottling
Dryhopped with 2 oz Citra 2 oz of mosaic

*** FV#3 (3gal) - Volume: 2.75 gals of wort ***
Targeting 20ibus
Beer: Local Project

Cultures: for this beer I will be using a cultured I propagated and blended from the dregs of two local breweries from two spontaneously fermentated beers

Indian Latter Farms - koelship (has a hop tolerant wild lacto strain and pof+Wild yeast, and whatever else lol)

Plan Bee brewing - Farm Beer dregs which consists of a blend of cultures from their bee hives.

WLP650 - Brett Bruxellensis blend

This beer will be aged on locally grown cherries.

I will be updating this thread as things begin to happen and if any changes are made
So it got brewed on the 7/16/21.

Today was the first gravity reading.

FV1: 1.001
FV2: 1.001
Fv3: 1.004

I’m confident that FV1 & FV2 are finished from a fermentable standpoint as I’ve used these strains before. For FV3, I reached out to both brewers of the beers I originally harvested the cultures from to see if there in the ballpark.

all beer’s test samples tasted great and am very excited to see the final outcomes

FV2 & Fv3 received their fruit additions.

so all beers received there fruit. Order of the fermenters in the picture is FV2, FV1, and FV3
70AD2567-87DC-4C78-99B4-4863A5A6DAD8.jpeg

Also forgot to update. I dropped all the fruit amounts down to about 1 lb per gallon. For the FV1, the sangria inspired beer, I scaled all the fruits individually back to fit the same ratio of fruit but down to 1 lb per barrel

I've been lurking these forums for a while but have just recently joined.

So you're turn around for these batches your making is roughly 3-4 months?

I've been lurking these forums for a while but have just recently joined.

So you're turn around for these batches your making is roughly 3-4 months?
Really depends on what your trying to do. You can do a high pitch count if a brett only fermentation and be ready to bottle in a months time. You can low pitch count a brett after a lower attenuating primary yeast has finished and it might take 6 months to hit a stable fg with the character you want.

I’ll be bottle conditioning some of the bottles for 12+ months to see how the character develops

Regarding Sangria de Blanca, can you talk a little bit about your process for the oak chips/sav Blanc and how that worked out?

Regarding Sangria de Blanca, can you talk a little bit about your process for the oak chips/sav Blanc and how that worked out?
So I added 10 oz of Sav Blanc into a sterilized jar and added 1 French oak medium toast oak Spiral. I let that sit for 3 weeks and then I added 15 ml (1/2 oz) to each bottle before filling them (only did this for 1/2 the batch for a control).

It worked surprisingly well. Certainly helped elevate the perceived wine character to the beer and gave a touch of wine barrel character. Next time I will be adding an oz to each bottle to increased the perceived barrel aged character.

Sounds good. I'm going to give this a try with red wine for my next Flanders Red. You've got some really cool things going on these projects!

Back