Beer line through mini fridge freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow4phil

Reaction score
I am sorry if this is a repeat of previous threads. I have search around and not found this specific question.

I just picked up a Magic Chef 4.4cf mini fridge for cheap on Craigslist. It does have the upper freezer compartment. Eventually I will probably move the chill plate to the back, but I have no reason to now. My keg and CO2 fit fine in the fridge, minus removing the inner door panel.

My question is, how should I handle the liquid line through the freezer area. Should I remove the small hinged freezer door completely. If so would I need to insulate the line through the freezer area still, or keep the hinged freezer door on and still insulate the line?

Thanks in advance. Again, sorry if this has been covered already.

Phil

I'm not sure you'll be able to run the fridge without the freezer on. There is only one compressor that runs both. You might need an external temperature control like an STC-100o or Johnson temp. prope that will only turn the compressor on when the fridge raises above your set temperature.

If you are running your beer lines through the freezer while it is on you will need to insulate and find a way to keep the beer from freezing when not in use.

If you do find a way to turn the freezer off you'll need to make sure to keep the lines cool or you will have a lot of foaming until the refrigerated beer cools the lines and taps.

Let us know what you decide and how it works. Good Luck!:mug:

Yes, the same element that cools the fridge, makes up the freezer area. Since most people bend the chill plate down and back, I would assume the element would run okay for me with the small freezer door missing. In that case, would there be any suggestions for how to insulate the liquid line so it doesn't freeze, or would the fact that the small door is now not there keep the freezer section from actually freezing.

If there isn't a door all that cold air will be escaping. Seems like a lot of wasted energy. Without the door I think you'll have a problem with the beer getting to hot and causing foaming issues.

Sorry for the confusion. I have the freezer door highlighted that I am referring to, with the red arrow. Can I run the fridge with this cover removed. I don't see why not, its not there when the fridge is modified and the chill plate is bent down to the back panel.

mini fridge.jpg

Latest posts

Back