Beer line length for 650ss flow control faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
Since these faucets are adjustable, I read line length is far less critical with them. I would say most of the beers I brew will be in the 2.5-2.7 vol range, with maybe a hefe at 3.2-3.5 and stout around 2.2-2.4 here and there.

Would it be wise to balance my system with a line length ideal for say 2.5 vol's and then use that line length length for all and adjust as needed? Or should I balance at the lowest vol I may do (say 2.2) and then restrict anything higher as needed?

For those with 650's, what has worked well for you? Thanks!

I can only comment on my experience.

I use 2 with a tower and my line length is roughly 5 feet. I usually only dial it back when I take the first pull after a long break. This helps to avoid the initial shot of foam from the tower warming up. After that I crank it up and never have an issue.

This ^^^
I used to have 10 ft lines like everyone recommends and got no head after first pour.Two tap tower with the 4 ft lines it came with works perfect with the flow control

reviving this old-ish thread as I find myself at the same design point now. Building a kegerator using a conventional fridge (no tower) Perlick 650SS flow control taps are the same height as the keg. Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra (3/16) line. How long do I cut it? I anticipate keeping the temperature at 38F, and carbonating anywhere from 2-4 volumes of CO2. This corresponds to 6-28 PSI on a carb chart, a pretty wide range, and I'm sure I'll spend most time near the middle 10-12 PSI. Which length gives me the widest range of options, with a good pour in the middle range?

I've read of others successfully using 3-5 foot lines, but doesn't it take forever to fill a pint with the flow control dialed that far back? I don't want to wait 5 minutes to pour a normal beer. Also I want to be able to fill growlers without a counter pressure filler. Keeping a neat-organized kegerator is nice, but I mostly want ease-of-use, aesthetics comes second.

reviving this old-ish thread as I find myself at the same design point now. Building a kegerator using a conventional fridge (no tower) Perlick 650SS flow control taps are the same height as the keg. Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra (3/16) line. How long do I cut it? I anticipate keeping the temperature at 38F, and carbonating anywhere from 2-4 volumes of CO2. This corresponds to 6-28 PSI on a carb chart, a pretty wide range, and I'm sure I'll spend most time near the middle 10-12 PSI. Which length gives me the widest range of options, with a good pour in the middle range?

I've read of others successfully using 3-5 foot lines, but doesn't it take forever to fill a pint with the flow control dialed that far back? I don't want to wait 5 minutes to pour a normal beer. Also I want to be able to fill growlers without a counter pressure filler. Keeping a neat-organized kegerator is nice, but I mostly want ease-of-use, aesthetics comes second.

You've probably already done this by now but I saw no responses and I just recently got these faucets so I wanted to share my experience. Now this was a new kegerator build so I have no experience with line variations, but I simply used 5 foot length for both my taps. So far had a stout on one sitting around 6 psi and a ipa on the other sitting around 10 or 11 psi. I find the faucets to work great and I do not have to turn them down too low and have long pours. My beers pour quick enough and I rarely find the need to play with the flow other than when filling bottles or growlers from the taps

Currently building out my keezer with flow control taps and had this same question. Previously I had 6' lines for my picnic taps, and that length seemed to work well when I first mounted the new taps. While waiting for my ultra barrier line to come in I decided to do an experiment. Saison at about 3.5 vols with a 2 foot beer line. Flow control is pretty useless here, you either get a lot of foam or a trickle of foam. Not really surprising, but flow control can only do so much. Probably going to go with 5ft lines and call it a day.

Flow control valves are Ok perhaps for fine tuning but if you run a keg at 10 psi, drop 1 along the tubing and 9 across a flow restricter valve you are going to have foam. The idea is to have the pressure drop gradually and uniformly along the length of the tubing so there are no steep pressure gradients.

Flow control valves are Ok perhaps for fine tuning but if you run a keg at 10 psi, drop 1 along the tubing and 9 across a flow restricter valve you are going to have foam. The idea is to have the pressure drop gradually and uniformly along the length of the tubing so there are no steep pressure gradients.

Can you elaborate on this?

I had my system balanced well for 2.5ish beers with 8 ft lines and figured I could cut my lines to length with the 650ss but it's not working out as others have claimed.

Back