Beer kit made less than two cases bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone2177

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't add exactly 5 gallons to the primary (but I feel like I was pretty on the money)...and I know that the fermentation will absorb some of the liquid...but when i bottled I only got about a case and a half bottled...the kit called for over 53 12 ounce bottles...any thoughts? It's my first batch so I'm not really worried if I screwed it up...there's always next time!

Did you have trub in the bottom of your fermenter? That takes some of the volume from the 5 gallons. I don't believe that I ever had a kit give me exactly 2 cases plus 5 bottles. Loses due to the trub/fermentation and spillage while bottling always made sure that I never got what the kits said.

Could be any number of things. A lot of trub could lose you quite a bit. If your hops made it into the ferementor, they actually add volume, therefore it looks like 5 gallons, but ends up being trub at the bottom. Did you measure volumes hot or cold. There is a decent volume difference between room temp wort and almost boiling wort. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get something to double check all your volumes against.

Sounds like you were off on your volumes, especially the top off water. If you are using the graduated markings on a bucket, verify them, the printing has been known to be off occasionally. If using an unmarked carboy and guessing by eye, graduate it.

Back