Beer Judges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
How many of you in the forum are certified or in the process of becoming certified as a beer judge (BJCP or other)?

I'm going to start using the score sheets for beers that I review, but not necessarily interested in getting certified as a beer judge. Just wondering how many judges were here, and how it had benefited you.

I haven't tried getting certified, but the BJCP off-taste lab I took was extremely useful. I discovered that are flavors I can't detect at all and others I was mis-identifying.

I'm beginning to study for this and hope to be ready to take the exam in the spring/summer timeframe next year.

You know what I think would be fun/useful for a lot of us?

We all get ourselves score sheets, and we all rate the same beers. I've been taking notes when I try new beers, but I don't have a systematic process down. What would be cool is if a bunch of us all got our hands on the same beer, something we all wanted to try, rated it with the same score sheet, and posted the information here. Maybe there's an element to the flavor that one of us picked up that some others didn't notice. Basically, doing commercial beer reviews, using a somewhat standardized format.

Didn't there used to be a "beer of the week" thing around here?

Excellent idea Bird. I'd like to see an actual review for comparison with some of the beers I've had just to see what differences each person picks up. It'd also might help identify whether or not a person came across a bad batch. Many reviews I typically read online are very subjective. Part of the process involves grading conformance to style, and while I might not be a fan of that style, I want to at least be able to give an honest review based on criteria.

It would even be a good idea to carry over a standard review format for beerswaps as well.

That's something I wanted to do for Beerswap, but could not find time to get organized.

I have a really nice scoring sheet on my home computer (PDF file) that I think might be real useful. It has a lot of detail listed, so that you can check off what you're perceiving. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you tonight, it's a lot better (I think) than the format I usually see judges use.

Oh, and when I aksed the question earlier in the year about if anyone was a certified beer judge, no one here was (a couple people had some training). BrewPastor at one point offered to help organize a competition and get Stan Hieronymus to be a judge, though!

I am working on it, they are starting some classes up in Indy soon I am going to be going to them. I like the idea of everyone scoring the same beer and comparing, at a comp they call that the calibration beer. It is to try and get everyone to score around the same for a beer. So that he comp results are even.

I believe that Edwort is a judge, if i remember right he had started a thread about that awhile back.

Cheers

I am currently BJCP certified and have been for a little more than four years. It has benefitted me, but not so much in a sort of stature sense.

Preparing for the test certainly made me more aware and better able to spot flaws in beer. Of course, it also taught me a little more about how to manipulate ingredients to achieve my desired results.

It also made it easier for me to judge homebrew competitions, and that has been even better. You can try commercial examples, your own brews, and your friends', and that will help out over time. However, it's hard to find another chance to sit down, sample, and really be charged to think about several beers that are all in the same or similar style that that, most likely, come from different brewers. Then, do that a couple more times during the day. Then, come back another time and do it again. The tasting experience has been invaluable, as has the chance to talk about those beers with another judge.

The test is tough, guys, but it's worth it. If you are looking for a chance to take it or prepare for it in your area, let me know. I know a bunch of folks who tend to know a bunch of folks all over. I may be able to help you find something or, at least, let someone know there is some interest in a certain area.

TL

My local homebrew club is starting study sessions for the BJCP test soon. I helped just some first round beers at our local competition recently and by simply sitting with certified judges and talking about these beers I learned alot about the methods of judging and what to look for in the beers!

Back