Beer is STRONG!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarc85

Reaction score
My last few beers have seemed way stronger than my hydrometer readings suggest...I've had an 11.4% reading feel like it's 14% and now I'm drinking a 6.4% reading that feel like 8%. Friends and family report the same so I don't think I'm crazy. Has anyone else experienced this???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Buy a second hydrometer and check the first ones readings. If you can see straight. .........

What were your fermenting temps? Could have fermented too warm which could cause that strong alcohol taste. Let it age out some..
No need to buy a second hydrometer, just calibrate it with 60*F Distilled water. Should be 1.000. If not make adjustments to the other readings.

How do you go about determining what the alcohol content " feels" like? Taste? buzz? The taste we generally associate with alcohol is fusal,(sp?) a byproduct of the fermentation that can dissapate over time. That doesn't mean the alcohol dissapates with it.

Yup, fermenting hot will put off fusel alcohols, which mess with some people. Makes you feel drunk after half a beer since the body metabolizes it differently. At least that's my experience with it...

Are you reading the right scale? You want the scale that reads 1.000, etc

In other words as an a example your OG might be 1.050 and your FG 1.010, if you're reading the scale that lists the % your not using the tool properly:)

Sent from the Commune

I calculate my ABV using SG readings and an online calculator. What temp are these fusal alcohols produced? On occasion my ferm temps can hit 76-78.

Yup if you're using British or American yeast 76-78 will throw all kinds of stuff like fusels. Try a water bath to keep ferm temps a little lower and more consistent. Mt carboy fits into my aluminum boil pot (Walmart 8 gallon $30) with an inch on each diff to spare. Also plastic tubs work

Well no wonder my 11.4% DIPA felt more like 14%; that fermentation temp got very high (before AC was installed)

So target range should be like 68-70F? Typically I use WLP007. I've thought about constructing a ferm-chamber from an old fridge or something...curious though: how much higher is the actual beer temp going to be over ambient? I know I'm dealing with an exothermic reaction, but in general, what kind of variances have people seen?

So target range should be like 68-70F? Typically I use WLP007. I've thought about constructing a ferm-chamber from an old fridge or something...curious though: how much higher is the actual beer temp going to be over ambient? I know I'm dealing with an exothermic reaction, but in general, what kind of variances have people seen?

You can find the optimal range for WLP007 here. You assumption is in the ballpark.

There will be a temperature difference between the wort and its surroundings during a certain stage of fermentation. And there is considerable debate over this in these forums. Nonetheless, the generation of heat by fermentation, whatever that might actually be, doesn't happen as soon as you pitch. This means there is a period of time at the beginning during which the yeast is doing its thing (lag/respiration/reproduction) that happens at the current temperature of the wort. And that's a very important thing to remember.

The same thing can be said for the tail end of fermentation.

I use 007 a lot. Both before and after getting a temp controlled chamber. I get the smoothest flavors without the hot alcohol flavor when I ferment it (beer temp) between 72-74. Will let it come up to the higher end after a week or 2, and let it go another week or 2. The bad flavors are the worst (from my experience) if the temps get high during the first few days of fermentation, so if you're doing a water bath - just keep a closer eye on it the first 2-3 days. After the initial phase, I don't worry quite so much if it climbs a couple degrees.

In the way of experience I only have about 10 All-grain batches under my belt, but you are almost certainly producing large amounts of propanol, butanol, and other fusel alcohols by fermenting at those high temperatures. Even ambient temp of about 70 can be pretty disastrous. Try to get a ferm chamber and set the ambient at least 5 degrees F colder than the desired fermentation temperature. My last blonde, pale ale, and IPA were in my ferm fridge set to 55 F and have been delicious. Cheers!

Whoah!! Just re-reading my post from early this morning. I meant to type that I prefer to ferment this yeast, especially during early stages - at mid to low 60's - NOT 70's, then maybe let rise to 65-67!!! Hadn't had my coffee yet. ;)

Back