Beer in the morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
So as I'm brewing up a 5 gallon all grain classic American Pilsner. My wife walks in as I'm cracking open homebrew. She said " God, drinking beer at 10am, you've got a problem". I figure, brewing beer = drinking beer. Any one else get this from the wife?

I'm just glad she didn't notice the beer I was drinking at 9. Hhahaa

So as I'm brewing up a 5 gallon all grain classic American Pilsner. My wife walks in as I'm cracking open homebrew. She said " God, drinking beer at 10am, you've got a problem". I figure, brewing beer = drinking beer. Any one else get this from the wife?

I assume you were simply sampling some previous brew in order to gather empirical data for the brew you were working on. I have made this sacrifice myself when called upon.

When I do this, even when I am not brewing, my wife just looks at me, shrugs and says, "Typical Tuesday". :cross:

I am sitting here drinking the gravity sample of the saison I am bottling While brewing up another. All in the name of science.

It's rare that I have a beer early, but last weekend we had a tailgate for a 1:00 Brewer game, so I had a cold one in my hand at about 10:00 am. Tailgates at Lambeau for noon games, finish line beer after a 8K (usu sponsored by breweries Here in WI) and weekends at a friends' cabin are the other exceptions.

I don't typically have a homebrew until near the end of the boil. Helps keep all the records in check. However, you have to praise the beer gods to bless your yeast. So yeah, you better have at least one, else you are guaranteed to get an infection. Oh and this rule also applies to making starters, harvesting hops, prepping for brew day, staring at your kettle on any day, buying grain at the LHBS (which happens to have its own brewpub on the other side of the wall). Oh, and GameDay during college football season... gameday...

If I crack one before noon I get the look and snarky comments...brewing or not.
She polices me on beer consumed when we go on friggin vacation to the beach..
Love her, but it gets annoying.

now that I'm retired, my wife and I have a beer or two mid day/noonish...we rarely have any beer after 1 or 2 pm... the early brews help with the afternoon nap... :) But a beer or two while brewing...whenever it is... is a must. :rockin:

I started bottling at 7am this morning and ended up tasting my gravity sample before breakfast :cross:

My SWMBO actually suggested that I start drinking at 11am.

Truth.

Here is why.

I have diabetes, which hampers my beer consumption (I have to factor it in as carb intake. I can consume, but I have to do the math first).

Another factor is I am currently on disability for a foot surgery, so Im not able to go to work, and I can't drive. I cant even mow the lawn (sad, I know).

My noon meal therefore can consist of a reduced portion, with two pints of homebrew. That way I can also have a beer for afternoon snack, and two more with the evening meal, and one as a nightcap. This way the math works out.

No kidding, this is her idea, so I can enjoy homebrew while Im off work w/o compromising my health.

Obviously this will all come to an end when I go back to work, but for the time being, ..... um...... ah ....... What time is it?

Like JonM if your at a Brewer game or Packer game definitely, it would be just strange not to. As for my wife she would look at me a ask why am I having a beer without her and promptly pour herself a glass. :rockin:

I grew up in Louisiana. Drinking before 8 am isn't all that uncommon. Especially during football season. I now live in Oklahoma and some of my friends just don't understand the appeal of morning drinking.

I tend to prefer a good screwdriver first thing in the morning as opposed to beer, but whatever floats your boat.

I love a beer before breakfast or when swmbo and I wake up around 3-4am on our days off and plop down In front of the tv with a beer in hand ah the simple joys of life

Lol

No wife here, but I don't really ever drink before noon. On weekends, I'm usually in bed until 9:30 or 10...sometimes earlier, sometimes later, but I don't usually feel like drinking beer until later. Sometimes on Saturdays I'll have one around noon. But I feel if I drink too early, I want to either keep going or it makes me too tired and ruins my ambition for the day.

Brew days I try to hold off until 10 or 11. Normal weekend days I try to make it until noon.

It's not really a strict policy, and have been known to have 8 am shower beers.

put your pour in a measuring cup then it looks like a sample ;)

Brew days I try to hold off until 10 or 11. Normal weekend days I try to make it until noon.

I'm in the same boat.

Tailgating a Bills game is a completely different story however. Then it's just a **** show.

ugh. Yeah I get this. I don't understand the whole societal norm thing in regards to alcohol and time of day. Nowhere in the statement "I had a beer before noon" does it say "...and I plan to continue drinking all day" or "...I have a problem" but there certainly seems to be an unstated correlation.

I have a beer almost every day. Occasionally I have two. If I have it at 5am or 5pm, noon or midnight, who cares.

I work 12 hr graveyards so if I'm drinking during my work week it's about 7:30.

One of my favorite breakfasts is bacon, mushroom and swiss omelet and a brew. Unless I'm feeling particularly industrious and make a Welsh rarebit, then it becomes brew washed down by a bacon, mushroom, rarebit omelet. Then more brew.

When you work third shift a morning beer is a necessity.

QFT. One of the small kindnesses of working third shift was waking up just in time for happy hour.

And I always crack a beer to start brew day. 9am ain't no thang. If I get judged, I can just reply with "Some people in France have wine for breakfast-- they don't call it 'day-drinking', they call it breakfast!"

She knows that Good slow cooked BBQ and HomeBrew always come out better when drinking a Beer.....they both just so happen to get going around 10:00 am...

1331996623377_1617395.png

A couple of weekends ago, my wife had decided that we needed new linens, bed cover, clothes for me, etc. I always put these things off because I hate shopping and I hate being around a bunch of people who are shopping. My wife knows this and understands to a point, but she had made it a "will you do this for/with me" kind of thing, so I was going to do it. Very reluctantly.

She got up early on Saturday and cooked her world famous chorizo breakfast tacos and poured me a big Double IPA. I was confused, as I keep the morning drinking to early college football games, but she insisted. I've got to admit it was much easier heading out for the mall at 10AM with a couple pints of hoppy heaven in me.

A couple of weekends ago, my wife had decided that we needed new linens, bed cover, clothes for me, etc. I always put these things off because I hate shopping and I hate being around a bunch of people who are shopping. My wife knows this and understands to a point, but she had made it a "will you do this for/with me" kind of thing, so I was going to do it. Very reluctantly.

She got up early on Saturday and cooked her world famous chorizo breakfast tacos and poured me a big Double IPA. I was confused, as I keep the morning drinking to early college football games, but she insisted. I've got to admit it was much easier heading out for the mall at 10AM with a couple pints of hoppy heaven in me.

Now that's one hell of a wife.

typically no, i dont drink that early.

Last time i did was at the local DC group buy. Most people bring some homebrew for other brewers to sample and we end up with a lot of beer to sample. its pretty awesome. esp when sweetcell brings his sour beer. his stuff is better than most sours ive bought that beer store.

We used to have shower beers all the time in college. After a hard day of yard work I have been known to take a brew into the shower. First time SWMBO saw me do this she thought I was looney!
I had to let her know Shower beers at any hour are a thing!

I tend to drink before 9 am when I am golfing. Beers, bloody Mary's, whiskey, more beer. But some of these tournaments and outings start at 6/7 am.
I tend to only brew on the early on the weekends, so I am still drinking black coffee.
SWMBO usually calls me out for not having a beer, I tell her when my coffee is done.
Since I am brewing on the weekend and my kids are around I try to not let the little ones see me drinking too much, too early.
But usually by 11 am I pop one!

I believe that morning beers are not all that unusual in Germany. According to Wikipedia, it's called Frühschoppen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frühschoppen

Many breweries open at 9 AM.

The last time we were in Bamberg (2013), my wife and I got some Leberkäse mit Brot and took it over to Schenkerla for our morning snack.

IMG_0403_zps313cf19b.jpg

We leave for Bamberg again tomorrow!

I believe that morning beers are not all that unusual. According to Wikipedia, it's called Frühschoppen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frühschoppen

Many breweries open at 9 AM.

The last time we were in Bamberg (2013), my wife and I got some Leberkäse mit Brot and took it over to Schenkerla for our morning snack.

IMG_0403_zps313cf19b.jpg

We leave for Bamberg again tomorrow!

Have a great trip, I'm very jealous!

put a Porter or Stout in a large paper coffee cup with a lid

then they'll think is coffee

I have done that with a McDonald soda cup and a straw

but my wife just tells me that she knows I do not drink soda :)

put a Porter or Stout in a large paper coffee cup with a lid

then they'll think is coffee

I have done that with a McDonald soda cup and a straw

but my wife just tells me that she knows I do not drink soda :)

But then you're suggesting you do have a problem if you have to hide it. I say just own up to it and say, "hey, yeah, I'm drinking a beer at 10am, doesn't mean I have a problem". I don't think I'd make it too long with someone if I were being watched all the time for what and how much beer I was consuming. If it were out of control, then sure, but a beer or two in the morning on a weekend...I don't think that's a big deal.

All I know is that if I drink that early, any amount, it messes with my ambition for the day. And I have very little ambition to begin with...

But then you're suggesting you do have a problem if you have to hide it. I say just own up to it and say, "hey, yeah, I'm drinking a beer at 10am, doesn't mean I have a problem". I don't think I'd make it too long with someone if I were being watched all the time for what and how much beer I was consuming. If it were out of control, then sure, but a beer or two in the morning on a weekend...I don't think that's a big deal.

All I know is that if I drink that early, any amount, it messes with my ambition for the day.

I hear you there I start my brew days at 5 AM and just pull a pint in glass when I want one

no need to hide beer drinking at my house

all the best

S_M

Back