beer in the bottom of my chest freezer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I have a large chest freezer that will hold 7 five gallon corny kegs. I do not want to drill through the side for various reasons. What I have been doing is hooking up all the kegs inside the freezer and then just opening the lid when I want a pint. However, given a picnic tap's propensity to leak and the occasional overpour I tend to end up with a small layer of beer in the bottom of the freezer. This is a serious pain in the ass to clean up on a regular basis and I want to come up with some kind of solution. Any ideas?

If your using a picnic tap and you have seven kegs in there why not just disconnect the tap after each use. Maybe for an easier clean up put some towels on the bottom so when it does leak the towels catch all the beer you spill. only other option is build a keezer.

i do have a drain on mine. couldn't I leave it open and keep a drip tray underneath? I could also slide something under the back legs to tilt it slightly towards the drain. Periodically I could run some PBW and star san through the drain to prevent smells.

Build a collar. It's fun and easy. I put a 1x4 under one corner and start a slow siphon into a bucket on the opposite corner to clean / rinse.

Last year I took everything out and frozen everything solid first and then just pulled out the nasty ice.

i do have a drain on mine. couldn't I leave it open and keep a drip tray underneath? I could also slide something under the back legs to tilt it slightly towards the drain. Periodically I could run some PBW and star san through the drain to prevent smells.

I'm envisioning those threads with pics of gallons of beer on keezer floors from leaky picnic taps. I'll throw out another vote for a collar.

I'm envisioning those threads with pics of gallons of beer on keezer floors from leaky picnic taps. I'll throw out another vote for a collar.

Yup. Build a collar. Otherwise you'll have a complete mess on your hands.

I have a large chest freezer that will hold 7 five gallon corny kegs. I do not want to drill through the side for various reasons.[...]

Good call.
Two reasons that come to mind are "condenser" and "evaporator" ;)

Any ideas?

The way to go is to commit to building a keezer, but if (for whatever reason) you're thinking you don't want to do anything irreversible, a collar is the next best way...

Cheers!

Here's a good video on how to make a collar

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4[/ame]

Ok so I'm going to build a collar. I've enlisted the help of a friend with all the proper tools. Here's my question now. I only have one Co2 tank. Lately I've been serving one keg at a time. Each keg has its own tap and I move the gas disconnect around as need be. Whenever I need to use c02 to flush or clean kegs i simply take the tank to wherever I need it. Once the tank is attached to the manifold this is going to be much harder, if not impossible to do. lugging kegs back and forth to my cleaning area doesn't sound like much fun either. Am I going to have to get another tank, regulator, etc. This is starting to get expensive!!

P.S. i also posted this on its own thread b/c its a different problem than the thread title.

Get some in line quick disconnects for the gas line between the tank and manifold. Just be sure to tighten the clamps well and check for leaks (I like to submerge as much as I can in water). I've used the ones below, I've seen brass ones at micromatic as well.

female
male

Back