Beer in the airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoe25027

Reaction score
Hi all! So my frankenbeer has been in the fermentor for 2 and a half days now. It is in a 6 gallon morebeer bucket with bung and 3 piece airlock. I have a little kraussen coming up through the airlock. It started this morning and started as just a little debris and after 12 hours has just discolored the vodka in the airlock. My question is do I:
A- leave it completely alone unless it blows off
B- leave it alone(unless it blows off) until fermentation slows down, then replace it with a clean setup
C- Change it now
D- insert your own opinion

I am leaning toward a but want to get an experienced opinion. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Collin

Same thing is going on with mine. Mine has only been in there like 18 hours. I have no suggestion. First time Brewer. Long time browser.

If it's only coming through a little but I wouldn't worry. Stick with A. Maybe once the activity slows, switch it out with a clean one.

I shouldn't hurt anything if it hasn't already, but be warned that if the airlock clogs, it could blow the top off your bucket and make a huge mess.

Personally, I would take the airlock out, and cut the little cross section off the bottom of the airlock tube if it has one, most do. Cover the hole with some seran wrap while you're doing it... That'll make the airlock slightly less susceptible to clogging. After 2 and a half days though, I would think that your primary fermentation should have already peaked and you should see it slowing down soon if it hasn't already.

Next time you may want to consider a blowoff tube instead, for anything over 1.060 though.

Believe it or not, the amount of CO2 right now will keep anything from getting in there, I personally would take it out, clean it, put in new sanitizer, and replace. I had one clog and blow off and it was a MESS! It was off for at least 2 hours by the amount of beer that was dried on my ceiling. Good lord that was a mess! My beer turned out fine and it had been open for 2 hours. Ideally, get another airlock sanitized, pull the old one out, put new one in, if not, put a piece of aluminum foil (sanitized) over hole, clean old one, put new sanitizer in and replace. You don't want it to blow off, TRUST ME!

C, I'd prefer to change it while its still producing CO2 since nothing will get in while its off. It's not just that it could clog the airlock, its that now that theres sugar n such in the water, it becomes more of a target for bacteria, mold, n flies.

Back