Beer in new Hampshire and Maine??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude123

Reaction score
Ok guys another going on a trip question. I'm going to the new Hampshire/ Maine area in early September and am looking for beers to try while I'm there. Local beers are good, but anything I can find there that I can't find in Canada I will try, such as sierra Nevada and Russian river etc

thanks guys

oh so many...

Harpoon IPA..or really any thing made by them
Sea-dog-hazelnut porter or blueberry wheat
Woodstock brewery in Woodstock NH...Pemi Pale ale
Portsmouth brewery in Portsmouth NH..
Smuttynose Brewery
Moat Mt smoke house/brewery ..in north conway NH
Budweiser in Merrimack NH
tuckermans brewing head wall ale

if you near concord NH stop at barbs beer emporium , right off 93 exit 14 N or S
thats all i can think of right now

Thanks. I'm not 100% sure yet but I believe I will based in Nashua and driving to the kittery area on two days for some fishing. I don't think I will have time to hit any of the breweries unless one happens to be on my way, so stuff easier to find would be best, but hopefully I can stop at one or two

Thanks. I'm not 100% sure yet but I believe I will based in Nashua and driving to the kittery area on two days for some fishing. I don't think I will have time to hit any of the breweries unless one happens to be on my way, so stuff easier to find would be best, but hopefully I can stop at one or two
Portsmouth Brewery and Smuttynose will surely be on your way if you're making that trip. They're both a stone's throw from Kittery. Literally.

If you get up to the Portland area your choices open up. There's Shipyard Brewing, Allagash, Geary's, Gritty's, Peak Organic, Sebago. There is Federal Jack's which is down near Kittery, which serves Shipyard Beer.

Portland has a bunch of beer bars, including The Great Lost Bear (tons of beer on tap), Novare Res (which has a ton of Belgians, local stuff and even a couple casks). A few brewpubs, Sebago Brewing (Portland and South Portland), Gritty's (Portland and Freeport) and Sea Dog Brewing (South Portland and Topsham).

Portsmouth Has Portsmouth Brewery, Smuttynose, and the eas-coast Redhook operation.

Redhook's pub is pretty nice, and for $1, you get a tour, a tasting glass, and lots of tasting!

This is worth a special trip. A number of beer magazines rank it as one of the top 5 beer bars in North America.

Their food isn't too bad either at the GLB, great burgers.

Novare Res just opened up last year, it's definitely going to make some of those same lists, they don't have the food like GLB, but they have a great deck, and higher end beers, and is right in the Old Port Area, so you can hit one of huge amount of restaurants right near it. It's my favorite bar in town, and we have plenty of them in Portland.

Novare Res Bier Café : : : Portland Maine Beer Bar

gtn80 pretty much covered the bases if you make it up to Portland. Old Port has all the restaurants, but the GLB is the place to go. Right next store to GLB is Maine Brewing Company which carries some beers you might not be able to find in Canada (Stone and Rouge). About 1 mile down Forest Ave you'll find RSVP where you can find some of the Maine beers you'll see on tap at GLB in bottles for you to take home.

Mmm the Bier Cafe! I was there a few weeks back and got a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout...its was a religious experience.

I second (third? fourth?) the Great Lost Bear. Brought a couple first dates there, but was more interested in the beer every single time Oo To butcher some Ray Scott,

"No, she don't like to drink my kinda lager.
So i had to tell that girl to kiss my ass!"

Seriously great beer and good food!

They've been covered, but Harpoon IPA is everywhere and is my go to brew when I don't know what to have.

Allagash in portland, their white ale is very good. As well as the rest of their stuff.

Smuttynose does some really nice stuff too.

i would definitely recommend woodstock inn if possible to make it there. also, the strange brew in manchester has a pretty good selection of beers. i would make sure to try the harpoon IPA, also both shipyard and long trail are worth trying while in the area

Since you will be in Nashua, I would recommend checking out Martha's Exchange. It's right on Main St.

The Manchester Brewing Company is the newest, and currently the smallest microbrewery in NH. Its located in Concord, oddly enough, but they sell 22 oz bottles at a lot of stores. I toured the brewery, so I thought I'd mention it. Very good beers.

Back