Beer in lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_another_drunkard_666

Reaction score
Put a beer on tap, pulled a couple .. figured it wasn't ready want to let it sit a bit. Should I leave the lines attached? How long is too long to have beer sitting in the lines.

How long is too long is a matter of how gas permeable your beer lines are coupled with your sensitivity to oxidation characters.
Some people running highly permeable solid PVC tubing (pretty much the long time industry default lines) get offended from the beer left overnight. Others running a highly impermeable beer line (eg: EVABarrier) and having a high threshold for such defects may never notice staleness.

fwiw, I switched from the former to the latter over two years ago and immediately noticed a character quality improvement wrt beer that might not have been poured in a few days to a week. BIG difference.

All that related, yours is a special case in that you're not ready for steady dispensing and may be awhile before it is ready. In that case, if you're using PVC beer line, I'd disconnect it until you're ready to pour that keg again :)

Cheers!

Put a beer on tap, pulled a couple .. figured it wasn't ready want to let it sit a bit. Should I leave the lines attached? How long is too long to have beer sitting in the lines.
I'd also consider how much beer in the lines is still being chilled. If you have a beer tower that has little (or no) insulation like some do, then I'd definitely disconnect no matter the line material.

Back