Beer in gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrane

Reaction score
I am new to the corny world, but absolutely in love with it. However, I am concerned about the small amount of beer that creeps into the gas line when I shake the keg during force carbonating. I have a ball/check valve b/w regulator and keg. However a small amount of beer still makes its way into the gas line. I haven't seen it make all the way to the regulator (gravity keeps down). I am curious if this is normal or do I need a new check valve?

Turn the pressure up to about 35PSI, hold the corny sideways in your lap with the gas in side up, then rock the keg for about 5 minutes by raising your knees alternating between left and right. This should keep the beer out of your gas line.

RichBrewer said:
Turn the pressure up to about 35PSI, hold the corny sideways in your lap with the gas in side up, then rock the keg for about 5 minutes by raising your knees alternating between left and right. This should keep the beer out of your gas line.

This is the exactly what I am doing. Should I perhaps tilt less? Sounds like it is a problem with my technique and not equipment.

Thanks for the input guys!

Also put the liquid fitting on your gas line and hook into the out post when you shake for force carbonating. Don't start shaking until you hear gas bubbling up through the beer (which should be immediate). The beer should not come all the way back up the dip tube and into your gas line.

TL

Im wondering if you should wash the gas lines out after beer backs up into them like that or to just leave it?

I had the same thing happen to me. I tapped a keg that was shaken up abit and beer backed up into the lines

Im wondering if you should wash the gas lines out after beer backs up into them like that or to just leave it?

I had the same thing happen to me. I tapped a keg that was shaken up abit and beer backed up into the lines
Beer can back up only if you have no pressure going out.

The trick is to put CO2 pressure into the tubing (to the QD) BEFORE hooking it up. ;)

If I'm in a hurry:

Set PSI to 35.
Walk away and count to 129,600 (That's 36 hours)
Reduce PSI to Serving and enjoy.

Like!

I will pump up the PSI, disconnect, shake like hell, reconnect, and repeat 2 more times, drop to 20, wait 30 minutes hook it up and pressurize, shake like hell, drop PSI to serving, and leave in kegerator unhooked for an hour (or I remember the next day), hook it up and serve the day after.

~M~

brewjunky, I would defintiely clean and sterilize the gas lines. I had the same problem and didn't clean them. Now I have several kegs of souring beer. The beer in the gas line is the only common thing between them.

Definitely PO'd about that. I have about 3 gallons of a strong dark Belgian ale, and it is starting to sour, wnd I don't really like that taste.

Like!

I will pump up the PSI, disconnect, shake like hell, reconnect, and repeat 2 more times, drop to 20, wait 30 minutes hook it up and pressurize, shake like hell, drop PSI to serving, and leave in kegerator unhooked for an hour (or I remember the next day), hook it up and serve the day after.

~M~

That is a sure ticket to overcarbed beer. Shaking it at 30 psi will encourage it to absorb far more co2 than you want in the beer.

I haven't had any overcarbed kegs yet...I don't let it sit at 30, or usually prolly fill all the way to 30 before disconnecting and shaking, but none have had trouble with overcarbing.

~M~

Back