Beer in Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopNutz

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for cool pubs or small breweries in south east Belgium? We are already going to Bruges and Brussels but we have one more day to spend in Belgium before heading to France. Thanks!

Sadly, I have no idea of the geography, but if I were to visit, I would not want to miss Bosteels brewery and Cantillion. The brewery that makes delirium tremens too! Travel and Leisure mag had a pretty decent article from 2016 about beer destinations in Belgium. Hope this was a little helpful.

The Gruut brewery in Ghent is a nice little stop and it’s not far from the castle there. Definitely worth the stop. They brew beer with gruit instead of hops. Make sure to talk to the assistant brewer Laurens , he’s a cool guy.

If you have time before you go buy the book

Good Beer Guide Belgium 2018
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...&sprefix=good+beer+,aps,187&crid=VUY1VPMBQJCT

Great beer and travel info about Belgium. I used the 2014 guide for our trip.

Belgium is a small country and you can cover lots of ground in a day. To give you an example when we were in Belgium 3 years ago we spent a few days in Namur visiting family. In the morning we left Namur and stopped in Mons for lunch. We then drove to Poperinge to visit the Hop Museum. From there we stopped at Westvleterin for a Westy 12. We then hit the coast in Ostend to see the ocean and then drove to Bruges to check into our hotel and have a late dinner.

Double check places websites to make sure they are open and some breweries want you to sign up for tours in advance.

I recommend De Garre in Bruges. Half the fun is finding the place.

Anywhere in Belgium but primarily on the French Side if you see a place selling Pomme Frites it is the perfect snack in the afternoon with a great Belgian Beer. Definitely anywhere you are in Belgium order a Orval at least once. Chances are it will be a month old and will taste completely different than the 6 month old Orval we usually get here.

There are plenty of threads on Homebrew Talk about Belgian travel so search and you should find some good information.

Can't make a definitive recommendation for somewhere in Southeast Belgium but there are a few Trappist Breweries in that area.

Go to De Garre in Bruges. AuBon Vieux Temps in Brussels was cool too. There was another alley bar in Brussels that we liked but I can't remember the name.

Last edited:
Back