Beer has gone cloudy in keg over time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTrain24

Reaction score
Hello,

So my beer went from a nice looking dunkelweizen to a cloudy mud mess.

Any ideas?

This was after a few days in the keg
20201122_212412.jpg

It is the back darker one

Now 2 and a half weeks later it looks like this

20201208_172640.jpg

There was and still is good foam, although in the pictures it has gone down. It tastes the same I think, but definitely looks odd. I let it warm up and it did not clear.

I also ferment and serve from the keg with a floating dip tube, and did move it yesterday to make way for a sour keg, but not much just a foot over in the fridge.

Trub mixed up? Floating dip tube sink? Bacteria?

It was such a nice winter beer to start :(

Thanks for any help, much appreciated as always here!

Hello,

So my beer went from a nice looking dunkelweizen to a cloudy mud mess.

Any ideas?

Trub mixed up?

very likely this. it's also possible that the float disconnected and you're sucking up the very bottom sludge. hard to say without looking.

if it was bacteria, at that cloudy, you'd be able to taste the nastyness.

Great thanks Zwolle, I think it is the trub also as that is how it looks when its at the last pint of the keg. So hopefully I just shook too much up. I will try it out over the next few days and see if it clears.

That's just yeast your floating tube is picking it up probably because you moved it. Just let it set still for a few days and it should clear again

Just kind of repeating what others have said, could definitely be yeast and trub your tube is picking up - especially if you ferment and serve in the same keg - there would be a lot of that stuff in the keg, so any little movement would kick up a bunch of it, I imagine.

Could definitely be bacteria, but you'll be tasting that, if it is, soon if not now.

To follow up, I believe it was trub getting shaking up into it. I did not move it much, so it must not take a lot to shake it up. This is how the beer looked yesterday. Once again the foam went down before I took the picture :( but it tasted okay. Thanks for the replies!

20201217_195949.jpg

Back