Beer has a thin skin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscraig

Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to use a bit of Knox gelatin as a fining agent in a batch of my beer. The brew had been in secondary for about 10 days when I diluted a packet of gelatin in warm water and gently stirred it in.

I did this to resolve this problem: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/yeast-floaties-189836/ (which hasn't gone away yet)

It's been 4 days and now I see a very thin skin resting on top. Do you think it might be infected? I haven't tasted it yet, so I don't know if it's sour or not.

give us a pic. give it a taste.

i could be wrong, and i probably am, gelatin is for clearing the beer not the surface stuff. how long was it in the primary before you racked it? it sounds like you are trying to rush things which is never a good idea.

I'll post a pic tonight, but it was in the primary for 4 days. The beer is on day 17 right now. I had read that I should add the gelatin about 4 days before bottling, and tomorrow morning will actually be 4 full days (which would be 14 days in the secondary).

If it turns out to be an infection, is there any way to salvage it?

if its infected there is no way to save it. it won't hurt you but it won't taste real good either.

IMO 4 days in the primary is WAY to little time. you should never rack off the yeast till fermentation is over. i'm a fan of leaving the beer in the primary for 3 weeks then bottle.

If it is a very thin white skin on top of the secondary fermenter, it is almost certainly an infection.

The best way to salvage it? Bottle it. It'll be fine.

I buy one vial of White Labs yeast per year. I brew one 5 gallon batch of beer a week. I transfer about a cup to a cup and a half of the sludge from the old primary to the new batch every week.

My yeast culture is contaminated. It has been for many months. I get that thin, white skin on the top of every batch I brew with this culture.

The effect? Virtually none. If I try real hard, I can almost detect the hint of a sourness at the end of a swallow. Big deal. It's still the best beer in town.

In my own defense, this is my first yeast culture that has become contaminated. And it was contaminated from the first batch. I almost suspect that the vial itself was contaminated before I got it.

Bottom line? It's probably fine for drinking. If you were thinking of entering a brewing competition, well...you might consider brewing another batch.

b.

Well, it's not really white. It's so thin that you can barely see it. I thought perhaps it was something to do with the gelatin.

Only one way to tell. Bottle it and send me the whole batch.

I'll give you my assessment upon completion.

Is it kind of a rainbow sheen like oil in a parking lot after it rains? That would be hop oils.

Also, IIRC, I think you're supposed to bring the gelatin up to almost boiling, then cool before adding it. Not sure if just dissolving in warm water will do the same thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus 1 to all the above longer primary time don't rush relax etc if it tastes horrible its penance to the beer gods and if its outstanding odd are you probably can't repeat it

On a off topic note if your beer has a thin skin maybe try to give it a little massage and say your sorry you offended with your caustic words might get the relationship on track

Latest posts

Back