Beer has a Bandaid Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeyermark

Reaction score
Just bottled my Hefe last night. I took a sample to test the FG, but didn't actually check the gravity until this morning. The FG was a bit higher than anticipated, at .015. After the gravity test, I drank the sample and noticed a bandaid overtone. I recall hearing someone at my LHBS talking about this, but can't recall what may cause this to happen. It doesn't appear that the beer is infected.

Chlorophenols. Somewhere in your process, either from your water or bleach used for cleaning/sanitizing, there was chlorine.

you by chance post on Pfreaks also? i recognize the handle if so

band-aid flavor can be a result of bleach or chlorine in your water

Chlorophenols. Somewhere in your process, either from your water or bleach used for cleaning/sanitizing, there was chlorine.
Now I remember that is what the guy at the LHBS was talking about. However, I didn't use any Chlorine. I use an Iodine solution for cleaning. My bottle of iodine solution is probably a couple of years old. Does that stuff go bad? Maybe it was the water. I used Sparklets spring water.

Now I remember that is what the guy at the LHBS was talking about. However, I didn't use any Chlorine. I use an Iodine solution for cleaning. My bottle of iodine solution is probably a couple of years old. Does that stuff go bad?

If you used it at way too high of a concentration (most people do - it's the American way, if 1 tsp is good for 2.5 gallons, than 3 tbsp must be better...) you can get phenol-like off flavors.

I entered a recent competition where I was too lazy during bottling and used WAY too much iodophor (I even made note of it on my brew sheet) to sanitize the bottles. All three beers (three different styles) had notes like: "this appears to be a solid beer, but the phenol flavor covers it"

I had not previously read of iodine-based sanitizers causing this problem, but have now witnessed and read enough to know that this was most likely the case...

Just bottled my Hefe last night. I took a sample to test the FG, but didn't actually check the gravity until this morning. The FG was a bit higher than anticipated, at .015. After the gravity test, I drank the sample and noticed a bandaid overtone. I recall hearing someone at my LHBS talking about this, but can't recall what may cause this to happen. It doesn't appear that the beer is infected.

Yup, happened to me on my first brew. I went and looked at my water report and chloramine is used. I had to dump all of it.

Now, I charcoal filter and use campden tablets, just to be sure.

This is a wonderful guide for off flavors that can help pinpoint errors in your brewing. I highly recommend it...it's the beer scoring sheet for the AHA:

Clicky

Here's an even better guide by John Palmer:

Clicky2

I'm in santa monica - i'd be down to meet up for a beer sometime or swap some Homebrews if you are interested
Sounds good. I play in a couple of local bands also. One is all original and the other a JGB Tribute. I'll try to find you on P-Freaks next time gig in the area.

Latest posts

Back