Beer getting more bitter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrclasen

Reaction score
The last couple of my beers that I have brewed are getting more bitter as time goes on. For example, we had let our beer bottle condition for three and then when we start drinking the beer and the beers seem to evolve into a more bitter beer each week. Why is this happening? The beers in question were a Brown Ale and a Siason from Midwest.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Mrclasen,

Can you describe the bitterness you are perceiving? I know this is really difficult to do, but I ask because the two styles you have brewed are known for strong flavors but not particularly bitter ones.

Without knowing about your process, I also wonder if you might be tasting astringency (think of sucking on a wet tea bag). This can develop if you extract excess tannins from the grains (even during steeping) by heating them higher than 170-175F for prolonged periods. This flavor could become more pronounced over time. Oxidation, while not bitter (think of wet cardboard) is another suspect.

Bitterness usually diminishes gradually over time. I have brewed a couple of IPA's that peaked in flavor around 6 weeks, and then disappointingly gradually lost hoppiness afterward.

I would suggest checking your process to make sure you don't steep or sparge too hot.

You can also try waiting out your current batches to see if they taste better to you over time. It would be a great time to get another brew started!

Thanks for the reply cervezarara! I think that this is exactly it. I am certain that we were steeping at too hot of a temperature. Those were the first two batches that we switched to a burner from the stove and we were having difficulties keeping the tempeture in control.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back