Beer from crystal malt only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Has anybody ever used only crystal malt (and hops of course) for a beer. sometimes I do not wish to devote time for mash sparge etc and was just wondering....

Has anybody ever used only crystal malt (and hops of course) for a beer. sometimes I do not wish to devote time for mash sparge etc and was just wondering....

Using Crystal malt is not a way to avoid mashing and sparging. If you explain why you think this, I'm sure people will help you understand why.

Using Crystal malt is not a way to avoid mashing and sparging. If you explain why you think this, I'm sure people will help you understand why.

Well, probably because crystal doesn't need to be mashed, it can just be steeped.

But you're going to end up with a very high FG and a disgustingly sweet, for lack of a better term, beer.

Does Crystal alone have any diastatic power? I didn't think it provided any fermentables alone.

All conversion to sugars was done by the malster prior to crystalization.

IIRC, Crystal/Caramel is averaged to have about 30 to 50% fermentable sugars depending on the degree of roast.

What if you made an all crystal beer and then added amylase to the primary? I've got a ton of crystal, some alpha amylase and some gamma amylase. I think I have an experiment on my To Do List.

What if you made an all crystal beer and then added amylase to the primary? I've got a ton of crystal, some alpha amylase and some gamma amylase. I think I have an experiment on my To Do List.

I'm not sure what the sugars get converted to but I kinda doubt that they are the long string dextrins.

That would perhaps up the amount of fermentables, but the final product still isn't going to taste all that great.

I'm still not understanding the point of this exercise.

thanks folks, yes I thought steeping at 85-90 deg c for 10 minutes then strain would be ok. In view of the feedback, I will add dry malt powder to the boil. hops will be EK Goldings, OG and FG will be what they turn out to be...

That would perhaps up the amount of fermentables, but the final product still isn't going to taste all that great.

I'm still not understanding the point of this exercise.

To answer the OP's question.

Plus, I have more crystal malt and botled enzymes than I need. The only thing I'd feel like I'm wasting is hops and I grow those in my backyard.

50% real attenuation isn't all that low.

not 50% attenuation, 50% potential conversion.

meaning crystal doesn't have as much potential fermentable sugar as 2-row

(If I understood the original 30%-50% comment right).

If I substitute 0.5# Caramel 90 for 1# Caramel 40 for an IPA recipe, will it have major effects on the taste? SRM wise will be about the same. I have 90# on hand and would rather use that if possible but don't wanna have that cause odd flavors either.

I'd think the toffee flavours would be much more extreme, even using half the amount.

If I substitute 0.5# Caramel 90 for 1# Caramel 40 for an IPA recipe, will it have major effects on the taste? SRM wise will be about the same. I have 90# on hand and would rather use that if possible but don't wanna have that cause odd flavors either.

I would jsut omit the crystal or sub with munich or vienna. anything over like 4oz of crystal in an IPA makes me cringe

It doesn't really work that way at all, the flavor contributions of 90 are different from 40, not saying it will make bad beer, just not the same.

I think I will just skip the 90 altogether. I didn't know if 0.5# which would be approximately 5% of the grain bill would make a huge difference or not. I'd rather not risk it. I think I may go straight 2-Row and omit the Crystal...or go to the LHBS and get the 1# of C-40 as the recipe called for. Either way I'll skip the 90.

Thanks!

Back