Beer flavored OJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
Long story short, I added too much orange honey and marmalade to my wheat recipe at flame out and now I have beer flavored orange juice after 2 weeks on the primary. I just racked to a secondary and will give it at least 2 weeks but I'm thinking more like 4 or more.

How much do you think the orange flavor will mellow after at least 2-4 weeks in the secondary? I havent ever made a fruit beer so I have no experience.

OG 1.052
FG 1.012

Yeast WLP051. LBHS recommended it, but now I think I should have just used a regular American Wheat yeast instead of this since the 051 says it finishes fruitier.

I still have hope and will give it time but I'm just wondering what to expect.

Thats now what I wanted to hear! Haha. Oh well, I'll give it time and maybe the taste will also mellow once it is carbed and chilled.

Ramitt said:
You could brew a beer w/o fruit and blend them at bottling.

Thats what I would do. Brew two more mini batches, one of your existing base recipe, then maybe a dunkel, and split. Then cross your fingers.
I think some of the original might make an interesting beer based glaze if you cook it down.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a few weeks and taste again then decide if I want to brew another batch of the base and mix. Have no fear, it will not be dumped and I'll make it work.

Back