beer-ed out...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roymullins

Reaction score
Not really beered out- not sure that is possible- but somewhat overwhelmed by the micro-brew market... it seems like they are all becoming the same- they are all trying to out-IPA each other- more malt, more hops, higher ABV%... I am ever searching for a nice smooth, mellow, not to highly carbonated, not to strong, basic brown ale... few micros make this beer anymore... they all want to jack up everything... nothing wrong with an occassional well-made IPA, Imperial Stout or Barleywine but for kicking back to watch the game or having a few with the fellas- a nice session ale is all I need... I continue to try and perfect the perfect brown ale in my own homebrew but would like to find it on a shelf once in a while as well...

Go 'Hawks...

If you ever come near Healdsburg, Ca You gotta try Pete's Brown Ale from Bear Republic. Probably the best Brown I've ever had.

I just had the same conversation with the SWMBO today. We went on a south sound taproom tour and everything was 6.5% and above. There's nothing wrong with that but a nice session ale would be would great so we could visit more than one brewery in a day.

Go Hawks!

Agree. I see mostly IPAs when I go to bev mo. I just brewed a full sail amber ale type clone. Malty and well balanced on the hops with 5.4%ABV. I like the balance.

I think it's cyclic. I get heavier stouts this time of year, coming up to the wheat beer season, next the ambers, then the IPA, followed by the Brown season. I think it's nice that Hopslam is released at this time, of year. It's a refreshing break. Maybe they only stock the most popular style in your area and you are drinking old IPA.

Good thing you know how to brew :)

I've pretty much given up on buying craft beer except the occasional Sierra Nevada seasonal or pale ale 12 packs. Everything is too boozy, extreme, not fresh or downright expensive, craft prices have just about tripled in 10 years, the value just isn't there. I do still like hitting brewpubs though.

Good thing you know how to brew :)

I've pretty much given up on buying craft beer except the occasional Sierra Nevada seasonal or pale ale 12 packs. Everything is too boozy, extreme, not fresh or downright expensive, craft prices have just about tripled in 10 years, the value just isn't there. I do still like hitting brewpubs though.

I'm with you. In the past year, most of my purchases have been from nearby craft breweries who are all just getting in to the market. More reasonably priced and I'm supporting local. As much as I love Bell's THA, for example, I'm not paying $11 when I can brew my own clone. A few years ago, that was $7/6pk.

Back