Beer cupcake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flack

Reaction score
beercupcake_011.JPG

You can make these cupcakes with Guiness, but I suggest using something a little more exotic, like Young's Oatmeal or Double Chocolate Stout or Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - something big and stouty and chocolatey and coffee-ish. (or a homebrew)..Here's the recipe:

Cake

* 1 cup of good craft or artisanal Stout, Chocolate Stout or Imperial Stout
* 1 stick, plus 1 tb, unsalted butter
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
* 2 cups dark brown sugar
* 3/4 cup sour cream
* 2 eggs
* 1 tb vanilla extract
* 2 cups flour
* 2 1/2 tsp baking soda

Glaze*

* 8 oz cream cheese
* 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350; butter a muffin tin.

Combine the beer and the butter, chopped into 1-inch chunks, in a large sauce pan, and heat to melt the butter. Remove from heat, and whisk in the cocoa and sugar. In a bowl, whisk the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla, then add to the beer mixture. Sift together the flour and baking soda, and fold into the batter. Pour into muffin molds and bake for 25 minutes, or until inserted cake tester comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes, remove from muffin tin, and cool completely on a rack.

Using a mixer, whip cream cheese until smooth, sift in sugar, and beat. Add milk, and beat until smooth. Spread glaze over cooled cupcakes.

*To create a thinner glaze, use a tablespoon or two more milk; for a topping more akin to icing, use less milk, and perhaps more sugar. In either case, add a little sugar or milk at a time, mix, and check for desired consistency.

-PROST! :mug:

I'm not sure if I messed up the recipe or your muffin tins are bigger than mine but I filled 2 12 muffin tins with about 1/4 cup of batter in each cup. I've got them in the oven now and I used my smoked porter. Can't wait to try them

I used Young's Double Chocolate stout. Just ate the first one and its great. We put some toffee in the center of a few just for kicks. Delicious recipe. :mug:

I used Young's Double Chocolate stout. Just ate the first one and its great. We put some toffee in the center of a few just for kicks. Delicious recipe. :mug:

Wow, you can get Young's in B/CS now? I was lucky to find New Castle when i was living there.

Wow, you can get Young's in B/CS now? I was lucky to find New Castle when i was living there.

Specs in College Station is the only reason I can deal with the beer culture here. Most places are pushing it if they carry something besides the typical water beers and Shiner, but Specs has a fairly good collection. I picked up a couple bottles of the latest batch of DFH 120 minute a few days ago from there too.

Back