Beer color and water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VorTheLaufOfBeer

Reaction score
Hey all.

I have brewed 7 batches of beer, the most recent three being the most successful.
Batches 5 and 6 were Pilsner smashes with centennial hops. Batch 5 used wlp550 and six used wlp551. Both beers appeared darker in color than intended and around the edges of the glass appeared to have a slight green tinge. The Taste however was good, no unintended yeasty off flavors.
I used spring water from the local supermarket to brew.

Batch number 7 is a week into bottle conditioning and the color looks as intended. For this batch I used tap water.
The recipe was 75%pilsner malt, 25%pale malt, and centennial hops with wlp550.

The temp in my apartment remains consistent with no huge swings. Is the difference in color a result of differences in the water or some other unknown variable?
Is it too much left over starsan in the bottle, inadequately cleaned bottles? The beer tastes good but the color differentiation is frustrating.
Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Are you using extract? If so then try adding at least half of it late in the boil to prevent it from darkening as much. It could also be variation between batches or manufacturer. Age can cause it to get a little darker also.

Thanks for the in input. Ive been able to do all grain batches so far- but very good to know in case I do extract. I've also had some local home brewers tell me it could be a reaction between the brass ball valve and stainless steel home made bazooka filter in the mash tun causing rust. I will check it an see if there is any

Water won't have anything to do with color. (And FWIW, "spring" water doesn't mean it's necessarily suitable for brewing.)

What do you mean darker than intended? Are we talking a difference between 2 SRM and 3 SRM, or are your Pilsners coming out looking like Ambers?

Huh. That sure doesn't look like 100% Pilsner. My gut tells me you might not have gotten 100% Pilsner at the LHBS. Maybe some dark stuff got left behind in the mill when the guy ahead of you milled his roasted barley or something, or maybe you accidentally got a scoop of the wrong grain.

Interesting. Thanks for the ideas. It's good to know I'm not crazy and it is darker than it should be...

Could this batch have been oxidized somehow? I remember getting a much darker result than expected on my last batch and the cardboard taste is starting to come through.

What event would constitute oxidation? the airlock lid blew off during primary so I put in a blowoff tube.

75% Pilsner and 25% pale malt. Pilsner should be 2-3 SRM but Pale malt can vary a fair amount from different maltsters. Depending on the pale malt that color might or might not be considered dark. Unless you used exactly the same malts in exactly the same proportions, differences in color is inevitable. Water, unless polluted, would not change the color. Starsan will not change the color.

Differing processes in the brewing, even somewhat minor will have some effect on the color.

How does it taste? If it is good, does it really matter what the color is?

What event would constitute oxidation? the airlock lid blew off during primary so I put in a blowoff tube.

For me, it happened when my siphon caught funny when transferring to bottling bucket and the line was full of bubbles for a bit. That or shaking/splashing when bottling/transferring to keg.

All good points, thanks for the siphon input!

Here is my thought on the 'does the color matter if it tastes good' question. I am of two minds about it.

For the It doesn't matter camp:
I am not entering this beer in any competition so for style reasons the color does not matter.

It is not greatly affecting any major off flavors so why should looks matter?

Who is drinking this but me and my close friends anyway?! So why should color matter?

For the it does matter camp:

If the color is not as expected I feel like it reveals a lack of control/understanding of one of the processes which I feel like is why we homebrew-to be able to brew a good beer and replicate.

For aesthetic reasons it does matter because if taste comes from what you expect to taste, then if you see off colors you may taste off flavors.

Let me know your thoughts. I would love to hear them given my torn nature on the subject.

Back