beer clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadbikerjosh

Reaction score
hey all! glad to be a new member.
ok so ive been trying to clarify my brews with no substantial results. irish moss didnt really seem to do anything, ive left em in the secondary for about three to four weeks (on average) and ive used gelitain. the gelitain actualy brightened up my irish red ale quite a bit, but not realy clear. they all taste just fine, so im not so concerned about quality. its just my next goal to perfecting my brew. any thoughts? i also just made a copper immersion chiller out of 30' of copper and some siphon hose. trying that tomorrow! any other ideas out there?

Well you hit on the 'addatives' but I guess I wonder about your hot break - a boil at the beginning before hop addition to and through the boil.

second is the cold break - which your chiller should do nicely.

Lastly you could try siphoning your chilled wort into your fermentor so you don't have as much break material going into your ferment.

Also when did you ad te irish moss? I think that is supposed to go in in the last 10 mins, and how long did you let it sit in the primary/secondary?

What yeasts have you been using? What flocculation rate do they have? A yeast with a low flocculation rate will take longer to clear,or not clear as much.

i cold condition in the keg for about a week or two. it gets better with time, but it seems to only go so far and never really get to where you could even see shapes of objects thru it. i just read up on what causes chill haze tho. maybe the culprit? i use irish moss the last 15 min of the boil usually. i just brewed my American IPA today and used the wort chiller for the first time, it brought it from about 190 degrees F to 72 degrees F in about twenty muinutes. so i think it worked alright. hopefully this will be the big trick im looking for, maybe with more time in the secondary? about 10 days in the primary, with about 14 usually in the secondary, sometimes with dry hoping in the secondary.

Latest posts

Back