Beer clarifiers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Is there any one "best" product to add to the brite tank (secondary) to clarify to crystal clear ?

I use gelatin now, and let it sit for 2 months or so at 34 F, and it works really well.

Am able to brew more frequently now, so I'd like to have something that would work in about 1 month.

Brew day to ready to drink in keg is a 3 month turn around - would like to get down to 2 months.

Thanks

I use irish moss and a month in the fermenter for Ales and I don't know how they could be more clear after all is said and done.

Gelatin should work in 2-3 days. Your two month time seems excessive.

Gelatin should work in 2-3 days. Your two month time seems excessive.

I just checked (I have a 250 ml glass cylinder I keep a sample in to check on the clarity)

It's pretty clear, but not brilliant.

2 months is a long time - I racked the beer last Friday evening, so it's only been 3 days (with a nice slug of yeast on the bottom)

If I left my beer at 34 for two month I'd not need any other clarifiers. Gelitin and a few days are I need for bright beer. A week or two in the keg and it's brilliant even at near freezing. I wish I could serve it warmer but I have other things in there lagering.

I get beer from pitch to keg in like 3 weeks and after 2 weeks on gas it pours clear as day.

Oh and I've never used gelatin or anything other than irish moss at 15 minutes. Sometimes I secondary, sometimes not.

For me and my brewery, crash cooling once its in the keg is all any beer needs to be clear.

Extract has already gone through some good protein breaks so it should clarify easier.

Here is a shot of Mojave Red at 16 days from brewday drawn from a 45F keg.
day16red.png

At 35 it will haze.

2 replies:

AG

Nice head, and clear - the way I clarify, I don't get chill haze (but seems like it takes forever)

I checked again, and it's very clear after 4 days but not brilliant.

I'm looking for brilliant, but don't want to use a filter.

I can get brilliant in 2 months - will let you know if I'm there in 1 month.
If so, I can brew every 2 months (10 days ferment, 2 days diacetyl rest, 30 days crashed with clarifier, 14 days to carbonate - 4 days left over in 2 month period to bottle and get chest freezer ready for fermentation temps again)

You guys were right.

Been 12 days, and even the bottom of the 14" glass cylinder shows brilliant beer.

In the past, I didn't have the time to check often, but when the 2 month or so mark came, I'd check and it was brilliant.

Good, can brew more often now.

Latest posts

Back