Beer cap bar top....for the 1000th time probably

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinDuluth

Reaction score
Building a bar this coming weekend and have all of the beer caps to fill the bar top and have the two-part mixture to seal the top. Just wondering if we need to do something to hold the caps down before we pour or if the caps will stay in place as laid down? Wasn't having any luck with forum searching but I figured somebody would be happy to give some input again. Thanks

Chainsaw Brewing on here did an amazing bar top like that. You might take a look at his. I don't think he used anything to hold them in place before pouring but I could be wrong

As I recall, the build I read about needed to use a glob of silicone to hold the caps in place or they would float and move. It sounded reasonable to me when I read it.

i saw a bar top where it appeared they used tile setting mastic applied with a notched trowel, set the caps in it, then poured over the lucite resin. it actually looked really nice.

I had thoughts of doing this - haven't done it yet - but my initial thought is to pour a thin layer, and set the caps in it. That would hold them for the next pour. You might wait until it begins to set to avoid a big mess...

I built one not to long ago(just a pour, nothing under) but if you dont get the mixes exactly right then there might be a clouding inbetween the layers. I would say hot glue or silicone the caps down then do a single pour.

Just saw another thread asking this the other day. The best solution I saw was a guy painted on a thing layer of gorilla glue (a bit overkill, any epoxy could work) and the laid the caps out. Let that cure, and then pour your epoxy. I'd imagine the caps would move if not secured.

The caps will move and float if they aren't secured somehow. I learned the hard way, and my bar top has air bubbles in it now from having to push them back down.

So maybe if I had done a shallow layer and let it cure it might have worked but I didn't.. so learn from my mistake :)

a suggestion: as with any project, get a scrap of wood, some BMC caps, and try your methods before committing to the final end result -

gorilla glue will foam up, then harden - you'll see the foam...

Back