Beer Brewing and Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
Yesterday i brewed a light American Ale with 2-row, Flaked Corn, Flaked Rice and some Cara-pils. It's been about 3 years since I've brewed due to traveling for work and I decided to do a Brew in a Bag.

The brew day went well without any issues. The beer is down and fermenting nicely.

I got to thinking about making some bread with the spent grains. I normally make bread once a week anyway so I looked on the internet for recipes.

I found a pretty good one at this link - http://germanfood.about.com/od/regularbreadandrolls/r/Spent-Grain-Bread-Recipe.htm

I modified it a bit. I added some Dark Molasses to it and adjusted the flour a bit to give a decent dough.

The wife was very skeptical. I baked the bread today and put it out to cool. A hour later I went out to the kitchen and noticed a couple slices had been cut off the end. The wife loves it.

This will defiantly be a next day thing after brewing from now on.

I don't know how the beer will turn out but the bread is defiantly a hit :)

Bread with beer grains be mmm mmm good. I do it all the time. Also make dog cookies with it. I don't use wet grains as I never brew in a timely fashion. Dry the grains in a warm oven till completely dry and turn them into powder.. not flour.. in my VitaMix. However some grains stop well before the powder point. Some of both get put into my cereal as well in the morning.. I always add about 3T of the mix to my oatmeal. As Tony the Tiger would say… It's Grrrrrreat.

I also used spent IPA grains to coat my cheese bomb this year. Melded well with the flavors of the cheeses & crackers used. Only a cernal here & there was harder to chew than the rest. I guess some whole cernals made it through the grain crusher. I've also used 1C spent grain flour to 3C regular flour in my biscuit recipe. Kinda like light rye slightly malty biscuits with butter milk.

I just moved my saison out of primary and kept about a cup of trub. It was a partial mash so I used about a half cup of spent grains, maybe a bit more. I used this recipe which is my go to bread:

[URLhttp://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mediterranean-Black-Olive-Bread/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=mediterranean%20black%20olive%20bread&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page][/URL]

I substituted the grains for olives. And I used about two teaspoons of trub instead of bread yeast. I was hoping to get a nice sour dough type of flavor considering it is Brett saison yeast but it didn't happen. Still it is a great representation of my best bread recipe. It's hard to not get a good loaf from that recipe.

As you can see In the pic, I coated it a bit with some grains. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391941266.705946.jpg

I think a high IBU IPA yeast would taste great too. Too bad it's going to take so long to finish fermenting, it would be nice to share a bottle with this loaf.

Back