Beer bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virtus

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here. I want to aks if is it bad to bottle directly from fermenting bucket? And how big is possibility to get an infection from a can sugar if i directly put it to the bottle? I don't have bottling bucket yet.

I am not american, i am from slovenia so forgive me for bad gramary :)

By

Hey, welcome for starters!

You can bottle from the fermenter, but be careful not to disturb the yeast cake at the bottom of the bucket. Too much mixed in will make the beer cloudy and will add some harsh flavors that you probably don't want.

You can also add sugar directly to the bottle as long you're careful to add the same amount to each one. Seems like I saw in another thread that the person added one sugar cube per bottle, and that was enough to carbonate.

Thanks. I will try not to disturb the yeast. But i can dusturbed it just if i hit or remove the fermentor. I hope that yeast will not dusturbed just with bottling through tap.

If you go through the tap it is possible the trub is up that high so you could end up sucking a bunch through the tap. Either use an auto-siphon, or better yet hold off on bottling and get yourself a food grade bucket you can bottle out of instead.

A bottling bucket would be better. But if you have a Cooper's fermenter,they have the bottling wand that connects to the spigot on the fermenter. I have a racking tube connected to my little bottler wand with the pin valve removed as a racking set up for my Cooper's Microbrew FV. I can then rack it to the bottling bucket to bulk prime & bottle away with a tube & bottling wand. Def use a bottling wand or you'll oxidize the beer.

Ok i bought a bottling bucket and made a homemade auto siphon... I have one qustion now about prime sugar. If i boil sugar with water and than put this mixture in a bottling bucket before wort... Would sugar and wort do a good mixture, i mean steady mixture? If not what i have to do to get a steady mixture with a same amount of sugar in each bottle? do i have to slowly stirr the wort? Thanks

I boil the priming sugar with about half a cup of water. Let it cool then carefully add it to the beer and very gently stir with a sanitized spoon. Let it rest for a few min to allow any sediment it sink back to the bottom. Then bottle. Good luck.

If your fermenter has a tap, that would be your bottling bucket;)

Carefully siphon beer out of that bucket into the sanitized new bucket. Wash and sanitized bucket that has spigot, boil 1-2 cups water and make priming sugar solution, pour into spigot bucket, siphon beer onto it.

Use tubing and bottling wand from spigot and bottle, it's an extra step to transfer twice but in the end will be much easier to bottle!

yes, fermentor have a tap. but i was told not to bottle directly from fermentor because of yeast disturbtion. So yes, as u say. From bottling bucket through bottling wand to bottle :)

If you rack the beer onto your priming sugar solution it will mix well enough by itself. You can give it a gentle stir as well, being careful not to oxidize the beer, but I've done it without and that's worked fine too.

At the end of the day it's what works best for you. I use one bucket, add the priming sugar right on top and be gentle. Your first bottle will probably get some extra sediment but I've never had a problem.

If your fermenter has a tap, that would be your bottling bucket;)

Carefully siphon beer out of that bucket into the sanitized new bucket. Wash and sanitized bucket that has spigot, boil 1-2 cups water and make priming sugar solution, pour into spigot bucket, siphon beer onto it.

Use tubing and bottling wand from spigot and bottle, it's an extra step to transfer twice but in the end will be much easier to bottle!

Did that for a wheat ale about two weeks ago. VERY little sediment in the bottles. Carbed up very nicely had one today.

I will botling from bottling bucket with priming sugar added before wort. I have another question but not for this topic...don't want to open new. I bought liquid yeast for kolsch and now is in epruvete. So what is a proper storage for that kind of yeast in original package? Day before brewing i will make a starter and that will be next month. I red that yeast must be storage at 1 celsius and used in 3-4 days? I don't understand that... i ordered yeast from england and delivering time is one week and yeast is exposed to different temperatures. So how much this influence yeast? Thanks!

I store my yeasts in the little butter cubby on the fridge door. They def last longer that way. The shipping temps do factor into how many viable cells are actually present. but less so this time of year.
Make a bulk priming solution out of 2c of water boiled a few minutes. Stir in weighed amount of sugar till water clears again. Then cover & cool till you're ready to pourit into the rising column of beer in your bottling bucket. I think the 2c of water to dissolve the sugar in makes for a lighter solution that mixes easier with the wort & top off water.

Another question... When you put wort in fermentor and then u pour water in if its needed. Is possible to beer get infected with these water from tap? Or u must pre boil this water? Thanks

Filtering it at least,boiling preferrably. Then cool & use. I use local spring water That's already ozoned,etc when I fill my sanitized BB & gallon jugs. so a couple gallons goes into the fridge a day or two before brew day for top off.
Works fine so far @ 25c per gallon. I just make sure my jugs are sanitized with Starsan right before I leave to fill'em.

Hi,

another question here :) I had problems with siphoning beer. My home made auto siphon did not work, so i put hose in my mouth and then siphoning... i know, probably i made a mistake. Beer had a very good taste before bottling, so it wasn't infected at this time. Now i wondering if it is infected... So what are first signs in bottle if beer is infected and how long does it take to see beer infection? I boiled can sugar and pour it in bottling bucket and then bottle. But i forgot to stir... And also made a mistake when siphoning, because i sucked a little bit of yeast in bottling bucket. So how long does it take to see if beer would have good carbonation? Thanks

If you rinsed your mouth with vodka or some other liquor before siphoning, that would lessen your chance of infection. You may not be able to see signs of an infection just by looking in the bottle. Sometimes you can see a ring of scum around the fill line, but sometimes you won't realize until you pop one open and get a gusher, or an off taste. The yeast in the bottling bucket won't be a big deal, within reason. There's always a little bit that gets transferred in suspension (after all, you need some to carbonate the beer). If everything goes according to plan, it will carbonate in 2-3 weeks at room temperature.

Do you have a way to chill the fermenter? Cold crashing really helps to settle out trub before transferring to bottling bucket. I have tried to siphon before and had zero luck. The siphons always quit, so all my buckets have spigots, and I have the luxury of a fermenting box, so I can cold crash and then raise to fermenting temperature in a few minutes. If you will wait until all activity ceases, the beer will clear on it's own.

Back