beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sww35

Reaction score
I got a six pack of empty beer bottles that allow no light into them what so ever. Will these bottles impact the development or carbonation process of my beer?

Light is actually BAD for beer. Keep all of your bottles in a dark place and use brown glass vs clear.

I am not talking about brown bottles, I am talking about complete pitch black, with no light.

That is, perhaps, the PERFECT bottle. I prefer my craft beer canned as there is zero chance it has ever been exposed to light. Light is ONLY EVER BAD for beer. Yeast need only warmth (temperatures in which they are active- 70F is perfect) to do their sexy sexy business carbonating your beer. Light not required. In fact, light couldn't even get on the guest list- your bouncer of a bottle is throwing light out on the curb, and the beer club is a cooler joint for it.

I prefer my craft beer canned as there is zero chance it has ever been exposed to light.

While reading this I had a vision of blind monks brewing in the catacombs deep beneath the abbey, only emerging to bring up flats of cans once a month during the new moon.

I probably need some coffee...

"I am not talking about brown bottles, I am talking about complete pitch black, with no light."

Great! Even better than brown. Light speeds up all sorts of oxidation reactions in beer and is the primary reason for "skunky" brew. Keep your beer away from oxygen and light as much as possible.

Back