Beer Bottle Labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricKCooper

Reaction score
Hi all. I just bottled my first batch 2 weeks ago and have two more batches in secondary fermenters. I need to think about labels so I can keep them straight. Where do y’all get labels from? And which are the best? And I guess come off easily for the next batch? Thanks! Eric

I've always just printed on a decent quality paper (24#, or sometimes 'presentation' paper) and used a glue stick on the back. Labels are pricey until you buy hundreds... Soaking them in warm water, with a little oxyclean or pbw usually does the trick.

Shaprie on the bottle cap
Beerlabelizer, printed, use gelatine glue (somewhere on this forum) and glue them on, come off easy in warm water, but lately I don't bother and just just a piece of blue painter's tape

But Sharpie on the bottle cap is easiest, if not the most picturesque and limited in the sheer volume of protangonistical whimsy you can spew.

Hi all. I just bottled my first batch 2 weeks ago and have two more batches in secondary fermenters. I need to think about labels so I can keep them straight. Where do y’all get labels from? And which are the best? And I guess come off easily for the next batch? Thanks! Eric
I use stickers international. Very good quality on their clear ones at least

Ditto Sharpie on the cap. When I do label (gifts, Oktoberfest party) I print 4 labels to a sheet of standard printer paper. The key is to print on a color laser printer, NOT inkjet. Inkjet will run run when wet. For easy to remove labels, microwave 1\2 - 3\4 cup of water to near boiling and stir in a packet of Knox unflavored gelatin (stir with a fork to break up lumps). Then I brush it on the labels with a small foam paint brush and slap them on the bottles. They will stay on even in cold water in a cooler. Put them in 120F water and they fall off. Easy peezy. I've labeled 4 cases with one packet.

I use https://www.beerlabelizer.com/

This is my newest label for my Black IPA
dark vader.png

For a bottle or two of something I'm going to drink at home, or wort saved for keg priming, I use tape and a Sharpie. If I am giving a couple bottles to a friend, and want them to look good, I use BeerLabelizer.
I use https://www.beerlabelizer.com/

This is my newest label for my Black IPA
View attachment 590947
How do you get that fancy text? I've done some manipulation of the BeerLabelizer labels, but not with the text style.

That was just the standard text for the label type I haven't seen a way to change them though you can change the colour palate by using the slider

Thanks. I went back and looked at the label styles in BeerLabelizer, and saw that text style on one of the labels. I guess I just hadn't paid attention to that before. Also, did you get the new label in BeerLabelizer? You're supposed to be able to upload a picture to it, but I have not been able to do that on the new label.

+1 on using milk. Just take a cup of milk, drink half, then dip 1-1/2" or 2" clean paint brush in and paint the back of your labels with it.

Last edited:
To upload pictures you need a premium account, it was only a few quid so I just paid it, worth the money imho tho :)

I'm exploring an option given to my by another homebrewer: Printing small 1" circular sticky-labels and sticking them on the caps. Labels like these: https://www.amazon.com/Laser-Ink-White-Labels-Round/dp/B07G7GP1XW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538640319&sr=8-3&keywords=1"+round+label

You download a "template" for them depending on your printer, design the "label" and print on it directly. Just peel and stick on the caps. The oke I got the idea from printed the beer's name, date of bottling and other info (like IBUs). When opening, you simply toss the cap and there's no labels to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve started using those little circular labels recently. Haven’t tried to print on them, but it’s easier to write on them than the cap directly.

+1 on using milk. Just take a cup of milk, drink half, then dip 1-1/2" or 2" clean paint brush in an paint the back of your labels with it.

Milk does work great and is marginally easier than gelatin. The only downside is if you plan to put the bottles in a cooler with ice. Milk labels don't stay on as well as gelatin. When the label gets wet, it falls off fairly easily. Labels with gelatin will get a little soggy but won't fall off. If you're just keeping them in the fridge, though, either one is fine and milk is slightly faster/cheaper. Both pretty much fall off in hot water.

I've done the sharpie on the cap thing, works great.

I've also bought some labels from Evermine that are made of window-cling-type material. They look exactly like real labels, but peel off and can be reused. They have a ton of templates on which you can use your own text. They are NOT cheap, but given that they're reusable....

Here's one of mine:

darthlabel2.png darthlabelonbottle.jpg

One of the cool things is that you can add your own text on the sides, with ingredients, platitudes, philosophy--whatever.

funkyryelabel.JPG ambitiousamberlabel.JPG

I only buy them when they're on sale; too pricey otherwise. The first time, I think you get a 15 percent off deal.

https://www.evermine.com/beer_labels/

Thanks. I went back and looked at the label styles in BeerLabelizer, and saw that text style on one of the labels. I guess I just hadn't paid attention to that before. Also, did you get the new label in BeerLabelizer? You're supposed to be able to upload a picture to it, but I have not been able to do that on the new label.

yeah there's a few you can upload photos/pictures on but only for premium or if you pay

I use tags like these. I either hand write the details or I use a an adhesive tag (like address return labels) print it and stick it to this tag, then hang it on the bottle.

Or I use painters tape and write info on it and place it on the bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only rarely use labels, but when I don't, I use different coloured caps, so if I bottle a few batches, every batch will have a specific colour, so they are easily recognisable.

For labels I use https://www.canva.com/ and then I print them myself using either regular printing paper or a little better/thicker. For glueing them to the bottle, you can use label adhesive or milk.

I do the same with caps
Christmas beer red and green caps, spring gold and silver, fall orange and brown and summer custom caps like flags and dice etc.

For a bottle or two of something I'm going to drink at home, or wort saved for keg priming, I use tape and a Sharpie. If I am giving a couple bottles to a friend, and want them to look good, I use BeerLabelizer.

How do you get that fancy text? I've done some manipulation of the BeerLabelizer labels, but not with the text style.
This is a great web site, but their fulfillment is terrible. I bout $70 worth of three different labels 7 weeks ago. I finally received on order yesterday, and while I ordered front and back I only received front labels. Now, where the other $60 or so in labels I ordered is a great question. If they can’t get what you ordered to you in some kind of timely fashion it’s not worth much. I realize the COVID thing accounts for some of the delay, but seriously!

They are beautiful labels on the web site, great concept for a business, but I ordered $70 worth of labels from the 7 weeks ago and still don’t have my order nor a refund. I should have just burned my money.

I don’t have any experience with them, but have you tried contacting the company? You created a new account and bashed them 3 times in 2 necro threads in less than 5 minutes.

Good question. Yes I have. I asked them to resend the labels a week ago and support said “maybe it’s time for a refund”. I responded that I really wanted the labels, but asked them to do what they thought was right. 4 days later no response.

Here is the thing. They are halfway across the globe so if they decide they are going to give me the middle finger AND keep my money there is nothing I can do except let everyone else know what they are dealing with. That is part of the purpose of your platform...yes?

Here is the thing. They are halfway across the globe so if they decide they are going to give me the middle finger AND keep my money there is nothing I can do except let everyone else know what they are dealing with. That is part of the purpose of your platform...yes?

You could contact your credit card company and dispute the charge due to non-delivery....it is really that simple. Good luck.

Update: I still have only received one side of one of my three label orders, but they have refunded for two of the three label sets I ordered. That’s stand up customer service, and I applaud it. I’d rather have the labels to be honest, but they did the right thing. It feels like a small company trying to do the right thing.

Just make your own labels at labelizer.com and print them on regular paper - I get 6 per page. Use milk to glue them on. Looks great and fairly inexpensive

I only rarely use labels, but when I don't, I use different coloured caps, so if I bottle a few batches, every batch will have a specific colour, so they are easily recognisable.
yeah. I use different color caps and different color gaskets on swing tops.

Back