Beer and non tourist destinations in New Orleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheektronic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

You provided some good feedback for my Portland trip so I'm gonna go back to the well again!

I'm going to be in NOLA this weekend Friday morning through Sunday evening for a buddy's bachelor party and we're looking for some cool guy stuff to do. Already have the titty bars planned out so no need.

We're staying in the French quarter so I was hoping there would be some recommendations on bars/breweries/brewpubs to visit during the day cause I'm sure everyone will want to do bourbon street at night.

Non-tourist traps and walking distance of the French quarter preferably. We have a car but I'm guessing we'll all be inebriated so that's not an option.

Cheers!

I can tell you where not to go: I was just at the Gordon Biersch in New Orleans and it was horrible service.....ever go to a craftbrewery, finish your beer, and the server comes by and takes your glass but doesn't ask if you want another? Yep, Gordon Biersch.....that is just one thing in a long list...

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the New Orleans in general, but I didn't have the luxury of drinking my face off so that I wouldn't notice. I would suggest drinking heavily (pretty much all there is to do there anyway!) Have fun! I'm sure it will be better with a group of guys, drinking, etc.

As an aside: does anyone else think Abita beers are kind of boring and tasteless? The best I had was turbodog, and that was pretty lackluster. I guess it goes along with opinion of NOLA in general.

You gotta check out the Avenue Pub on St. Charles Ave, it's awesome and is open 24 hrs I think and you can take the streetcar straight there from the Quarter. The Bulldog on Magazine St. has a pretty nice selection, too.

Cooter Brown's has a good beer menu, if you like live music then check out Maple Leaf (my old haunt from when I lived there in the mid 90's....usually a good band there). The Quarter is a tourist trap.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/Home
^^^ gambit website....everything going on in the city.

House of Shock is open now....it's a somewhat cheesy, yet cool haunted house.

Dark Forest from Crescent City is a tasty brew.....not the best in the world, but tasty.

Back