New Orleans brewery/bar recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
I'm taking a 4 day business trip next month and will be staying right in the French Quarter. Anyone got recommendations for any nearby breweries, bars, and especially bottle shops? Preferably ones that are walkable for bars, company car and all

I'm gonna check a bag upon return so I've got 30lbs or so I can have allocated for bottles to bring back. Gonna bring some packing material too

I have visited NOLA on multiple occasions mostly for Jazz Fest. Jazz Fest is getting bigger every year and I find the bigger it gets the less I enjoy it. That and I am getting too old to stand in the mud (or horse dung) all day drinking. It really takes its toll. ;) I recently when down just to take my kids to the WWII museum. It is a must see for a history buff.

I make it a point to stop at Crescent City Brewhouse It is the only brewery in the Quarter.

NO is a walking town. You can easily walk to Courtyard Brewery from the quarter. It is a few blocks passed the WWII museum.

I like my bars small and dimly lit. The Irish pubs (The Kerry, Ryans, Erin Rose) do to that well.

On the most recent trip I found The Ole Saint (inside the Wyndham) on Royal. IMO it has the best selection in the french quart & it has 2 for 1 happy hour.

Thanks, it looks like im actually a bit South of the French quarter now that Im actually mapping it out. Courtyard brewery is closest to me. I'll take a look at the others

Wow, I figured N.O.L.A. brewing co (new orleans lager and ale) would be a bit boring given the derivative name. But theyve got a funk series that looks right up my alley

We're behind the beer-ball here but we're getting better.
NOLA tours are ok but don't expect much. They have a nice, new tavern/tap room as well as a tasting room.
There's a few places in the metro area to get some good beers. Courtyard Brewing is small and almost large, garage like but they have about 8 of their beers (always changing) as well as some of the more popular craft beer.
Second Line is also garage like and really new. I was blown away by how good their beers were. Not too many on tap yet but they vary as well. I've enjoyed a nice Russian Stout, cherry saison as well as a better than average IPA.
The beer bars to hit are Cooter Browns near the river which has tons of taps and fresh beer as well as a large selection of bottles and bar food.
Then my favorite OLD place is Avenue Pub on famous St. Charles. You can even take the scenic streetcar which stops less than a block away from it. Depending on when you go (later afternoons) there's a balcony overlooking the Avenue that you can enjoy.
Further outside of town are other breweries but they require some traveling. More info here:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/11/
Hope you enjoy your stay. It can get warm even in April as well as humid but this year with El Nino, we don't know WTF the weather is doing.
Oh, and it's crawfish time as well as the free French Quarter Festival with tons of music and awesome food!
http://fqfi.org/

We're behind the beer-ball here but we're getting better.
NOLA tours are ok but don't expect much. They have a nice, new tavern/tap room as well as a tasting room.
There's a few places in the metro area to get some good beers. Courtyard Brewing is small and almost large, garage like but they have about 8 of their beers (always changing) as well as some of the more popular craft beer.
Second Line is also garage like and really new. I was blown away by how good their beers were. Not too many on tap yet but they vary as well. I've enjoyed a nice Russian Stout, cherry saison as well as a better than average IPA.
The beer bars to hit are Cooter Browns near the river which has tons of taps and fresh beer as well as a large selection of bottles and bar food.
Then my favorite OLD place is Avenue Pub on famous St. Charles. You can even take the scenic streetcar which stops less than a block away from it. Depending on when you go (later afternoons) there's a balcony overlooking the Avenue that you can enjoy.
Further outside of town are other breweries but they require some traveling. More info here:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/11/
Hope you enjoy your stay. It can get warm even in April as well as humid but this year with El Nino, we don't know WTF the weather is doing.
Oh, and it's crawfish time as well as the free French Quarter Festival with tons of music and awesome food!
http://fqfi.org/

Thanks man. The Avenue Pub was on my radar from the beginning. I'll check out second line.

Being a local, have you heard any news about this brewery? It looks like they are just starting out and dont even have a taproom open to the public. Their site encourages homebrewers to ask for tour though. I'd be all over that
40 Arpent Brewery

Beer-Lord gave you some good info. I would like to add the Bulldog on Magazine. They sometimes have a beer called Ghost in the Machine by Parish Brewing. I was there last weekend but they didn't have any so opted for Envie (Parish Brewing). Cooter Browns just got a keg this week but it sells out fast.

Bayou Beer Garden is another good place with a nice selection on tap.
I second Second Line Brewing. I've only had their APA and IPA and it was really good. I do plan on stopping by Courtyard Brewery next time im in NOLA.

Nola Brewing sometimes has a Citra PA but I have yet to try any. They usually have it on tap during the week but rarely on the weekends which is when I can get to NOLA.

As for 40 Arpent Brewing, haven't tried any of there beers yet but several places in NOLA have them on tap.

Wanted to mention that Nola Brewery has an onsite BBQ joint. Beer and BBQ go great. They usually have boiled crawfish on Fridays.

Looks like i'll be trying a bunch of crafish and oysters. Any recommendations on where to get the best authentic/cheap Po Boy?

Looks like i'll be trying a bunch of crafish and oysters. Any recommendations on where to get the best authentic/cheap Po Boy?

What kind of poboy you want?
Try Killer Poboys. Located in the back of the Erin Rose bar. Pork Belly poboy is Killer.
Oysters @ Dragos, Felix's, Acme all have oysters on the half shell and char-grilled.
Muffalettas> try them at Central Grocery or Franks in the quarter.
Landry's Seafood on N Peters has some good seafood.
Deanies Seafood is also good. http://www.deanies.com
Oceana Grill http://www.oceanagrill.com/

Bunch of bars down Bourbon have 3 for 1. They don't have any of the craft beers--most have Abita Amber, Coors light, BL, Heineken, Ultra.

I didnt read all the posts... But I'll still chime in. I was INCREDIBLY disappointed by the New Orleans brewery situation... I didnt make it out to NOLA because its wasnt in the city (had no car) and didnt want to go to Abita

I was excited for Crescent City... i stayed right next to it at the French Market Inn. Finally made it in to the bar to try a few beers before a walking drink tour and was let down. They had a little stand up plastic holder that most spots use to hold specials. There were 4 beers. The IPA tasted like the city smells, but I did end up kind of liking it

Jackson Brewery is even worse. They have 1 house beer, but great options for other local LA beers

Overall I thought it was a bust

I would definitely recommend Dr Gumbos walking cocktail tour. I absolutely LOVED that tour

To post above mine, had the pork belly poboy at Killer Poboys and wasnt too super happy about it. I wish my belly was more crispy :(

I didnt read all the posts... But I'll still chime in. I was INCREDIBLY disappointed by the New Orleans brewery situation... I didnt make it out to NOLA because its wasnt in the city (had no car) and didnt want to go to Abita

I was excited for Crescent City... i stayed right next to it at the French Market Inn. Finally made it in to the bar to try a few beers before a walking drink tour and was let down. They had a little stand up plastic holder that most spots use to hold specials. There were 4 beers. The IPA tasted like the city smells, but I did end up kind of liking it

Jackson Brewery is even worse. They have 1 house beer, but great options for other local LA beers

Overall I thought it was a bust

I would definitely recommend Dr Gumbos walking cocktail tour. I absolutely LOVED that tour

To post above mine, had the pork belly poboy at Killer Poboys and wasnt too super happy about it. I wish my belly was more crispy :(

yea the brewery scene in the Quarter sucks. Have to venture out. Crescent City Brewhouse sucks. That place smells the **** last time I was in there and it was over 3 years ago.
Abita was the original and I honestly don't care for much of their beers. Much better out there now. I did hear that Abita got a new brewmaster so maybe he will inject some life into that brewery and produce better and different types of beer.
As for Killer Poboys, it was over a year I tried it and it was good. My wife didn't care for it. She had a shrimp poboy and she said it was good but I didn't care for it. Everybody is different I suppose.

NOLA Brewery is outside of the Quarter but they do have a nice selection on tap.

To the OP, Cochon Butcher is in the Warehouse district near the convention center. they have some great food and smoked meats.

Thanks man. The Avenue Pub was on my radar from the beginning. I'll check out second line.

Being a local, have you heard any news about this brewery? It looks like they are just starting out and dont even have a taproom open to the public. Their site encourages homebrewers to ask for tour though. I'd be all over that
40 Arpent Brewery
I've tried to get to 40 Arpent a few times and life got in the way. But, I think their small tap room is open unless the new, updated one is not done yet and they had to close things for awhile. Sorry, I'm not sure.
Brew703 makes a good point about Ghost in the Machine. It's hard as heck to get and is coming out more and more often than in past years. If there is some fresh Ghost around, try it. It's the best DIPA in the south and to me, rivals Enjoy By, Pliny and Heady. Not saying its better but when this is fresh, it's a gotta have for IPA lovers.
Also out now though not for long and also hard to get is Dr. Hoptagon which is Parish's black IPA sorta, kinda hybrid. It's big and delish.

I've tried to get to 40 Arpent a few times and life got in the way. But, I think their small tap room is open unless the new, updated one is not done yet and they had to close things for awhile. Sorry, I'm not sure.
Brew703 makes a good point about Ghost in the Machine. It's hard as heck to get and is coming out more and more often than in past years. If there is some fresh Ghost around, try it. It's the best DIPA in the south and to me, rivals Enjoy By, Pliny and Heady. Not saying its better but when this is fresh, it's a gotta have for IPA lovers.
Also out now though not for long and also hard to get is Dr. Hoptagon which is Parish's black IPA sorta, kinda hybrid. It's big and delish.

It's frustrating as hell that everytime I find out who has Ghost I get there and it's GONE. Parish released some earlier this month at their brewery but I could not make it. Still have yet to get my hands on it. Next time they release I'll have to make a trip to Broussard to score a 4 pack.
As for Hoptagon haven't tried that either.
Parish's Envie is a good beer if fresh. If the bottle is more than 2-3 months old it's horrible.

Long time lurker, first time poster, and I just let my original post get all eaten up. I'll keep this one short, but feel free to ask for more details.

Bottle shops: Stein's is best, and walking distance from Avenue Pub--you should go there. Alternatively, Sidney's in the FQ is so-so, Martin Wine Cellar in Central City (near the LHBS) is better.

Cochon Butcher: also great, and a good place to get a muffaletta that isn't in the quarter (which may well be preferable.

Oysters: sounds like you'll be near Lüke, go for happy hour. Covington makes a couple house brews for them, the alt is the better of the two.

If you can make it to Mid-city (there's that great Canal street car to help), you might also knock out lots of other stuff with less noise and traffic than the french quarter. Bevi's Seafood on Carrolton has great crawfish and quite good poboys. And it's near Angelo Brocato if you have a gelato hankering. Also, Bayou Beer Garden is on the Bayou St. John (a really beautiful spot I happen to live near by), and is also near Parkway Tavern, another venerable poboy destination, especially if catfish might be your game. If you prefer pork, Katie's cochon de lait poboy is probably destination-worthy. All in mid-city! Otherwise Killer Poboys is a good bet for FQ.

Non-beer drinking: if you go to Courtyard Brewery, there will likely be a food truck in the evening, and just down the street is a fabulous whiskey bar called Barrel Proof. If you like cocktails, some of the best in the quarter can be found on Decatur street, though both are slightly hidden: Latitude 29 is tucked into Bienville House, and is an expertly-created (literally) whole-hog tiki experience; Cane and Table is next to Coop's place on the other end of Decatur, and does a wider dinner menu (which is super delicious) and proto-tiki cocktail program.

To be clear, none if this is meant to contradict the other recommendations. To brew703's point on Envie, actually a lot of the good beer in this town is great if under a month old and fully lackluster as it goes beyond that. Same goes for Great Raft's reformulated Commotion APA and Parish's Canebreak.

@NorrinRazael

wow thanks man. I'll definitely add those bottle shops to my list and check out menus for those places

It's frustrating as hell that everytime I find out who has Ghost I get there and it's GONE. Parish released some earlier this month at their brewery but I could not make it. Still have yet to get my hands on it. Next time they release I'll have to make a trip to Broussard to score a 4 pack.
As for Hoptagon haven't tried that either.
Parish's Envie is a good beer if fresh. If the bottle is more than 2-3 months old it's horrible.
I have made friends with a stocker at a local grocery store and even have his phone number so I call him when Ghost comes out. Almost none of the stores put them on shelves, you have to ask for it. And, they limit to 1 4 pak. Of course, I get 2. :)
I did hear that they plan on putting Ghost out every 6 weeks or so and if true, that's awesome but I'm also told they aren't brewing enough each batch for demand.

On a side note, last night friends of friends came in from San Fran with 3 bottles of Pliny. Oh man was it a good night for beer. We had very little homebrew and enjoyed fresh Ghost and Hoptagon AND Pliny. I was in hop heaven.

I have made friends with a stocker at a local grocery store and even have his phone number so I call him when Ghost comes out. Almost none of the stores put them on shelves, you have to ask for it. And, they limit to 1 4 pak. Of course, I get 2. :)
I did hear that they plan on putting Ghost out every 6 weeks or so and if true, that's awesome but I'm also told they aren't brewing enough each batch for demand.

On a side note, last night friends of friends came in from San Fran with 3 bottles of Pliny. Oh man was it a good night for beer. We had very little homebrew and enjoyed fresh Ghost and Hoptagon AND Pliny. I was in hop heaven.

I do wish Louisiana would get the Pliney's and Hill Farmstand's and maybe one day we will. I heard Bells is coming to Louisiana and also Left Hand Brewing. I wish Russian River would make it's way down here. For now, guess I'll have to try and clone them.
As for Ghost, I have talked to Parish Brewing and I was told too they will be ramping up production. I've never seen the stuff in my area but next time they release I'll take a ride to Broussard.

Recomendations:

Pub:
Avenue Pub on St Charles in the Garden District- Huge tap list and also a big list of bottled imported beers. Good Pub Food

Pub:
Bulldog on Magazine St.

Lunch:
Cochon Butcher- near the WWII museum. Try the Boudin and the muffaletta.

Breakfast:
Please U diner on St Charles. Local place with good breakfasts, Poboys, sassy waitresses.

Fine Dining:
Commander's Palace in the Garden District. New Orleans award winning cuisine and chef at their finest. Probably the biggest wine cellar in the city. Chef Tory McPhail's menu is amazing. Also a great jazz brunch on saturdays and sundays

Great Cocktails and Tapas in the French Quarter:
SoBou- Innovating and cutting edge cocktails and great Louisiana inspired cuisine. Tell Fredrik the Maitre D that Harvey sent you. (he's my son)

Beignets and Cafe Au Lait:
Do the Cafe Du Monde if you want the tourist experience but for better beignets and coffee go to the stand in the Jackson Brewery building on Decatur and St Peters St

Arnouds in the quarter
Fine dining, jazz brunch, award winning bar

This is not exhaustive but it is accurate and all are highly recommended.

+1 on Arnaud's and Commander's Palace. Good food. Commander's Palace has a dress code which sucked because it was hot and humid when I was there. No shorts or t-shirts so I had to bring a change of clothes so I could do the Garden District tour before lunch. BTW, that tour is really cool if you have a few hours. The cemetery tours that start on the horse carriages in the big square in the French Quarter are neat, too, if you get a chance.

Avenue was great. Lots of beer and some weird food. I had something called Kentucky Brown Waterfall or something. Meat, bread and a ton of brown gravy. Maybe some eggs? I can't even remember. But it was good. And in their beer menu, they had dates for all their kegs which was pretty sweet.

I was hoping for more beer while I was there but I found out pretty quick that NOLA is a cocktail kind of town, which is fine. Lots of good mixed drinks to be had there. I had never tried a Pimm's cup but man alive, that is some good $#!t.

Small update: there's a new bottle shop in town and it. is. legit. 504 Craft Beer Reserve on Tulane & Carrolton is new but well-stocked, friendly, knowledgable, responsive. A couple new breweries are coming online in town, too, and so far so good. @m00ps feel free to get at me once you're in town.

Small update: there's a new bottle shop in town and it. is. legit. 504 Craft Beer Reserve on Tulane & Carrolton is new but well-stocked, friendly, knowledgable, responsive. A couple new breweries are coming online in town, too, and so far so good. @m00ps feel free to get at me once you're in town.

I can confirm this. I am friends with one of the owners, Patrick. Check it out!

:mug:

Back