Beer and cigars - what is your favorite combo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i enjoyed a cuban the other night that a friend offered me a few puffs on. i was drinking a mikkeller breakfast stout. i remember thinking, damn! this combo is freaking awesome. so i would say any coffee beer would go great. probably imperial stout, porter, ect.

I love a malty scottish ale with some tobacco. Just finished a keg of 80 schilling that was my go-to whenever smoking a pipe or cigar. However just last night I was drinking another homebrewer's IPA with a cigar (a lighter variety) and I was surprised and pleased at how the hops kept coming through.
So its hard to go wrong, just keep it strong :mug:

Padilla Obsidian Belicoso,
images

or a 5 Vegas Cask strength

images

With a Solid IIPA

double-wide_ipa.jpg

IMG_7010-Arrogant+Bastard.jpg

The stronger the beer the heartier the cigar should be IMHO

I love a big Stout and a nice dark Maduro. Had a Padron 1926 #2 Maduro paired with a Mikkeller Black Hole Barrel Aged. Awesomeness. I was going to try some Cubans, but they typically don't have the big flavor profile that I enjoy and tend to be more mellow and smooth - apparently - or so I was told. Big flavor is most important to me.

PADRON and a porter!

padron light wrap is as dark as many maduros... their maduro is dark and velvety but not black and harsh.

Think malty think Padron.. nice compliment. Padron used to be my everyday cigar... I just cant get them anymore since moved south... Although I can get the pre embargos but they are $15-25 per stick... begged and pleaded for regular padrons... still none.

^ Agreed. Padron or Maduro with a nice thick stout.

IPAs go well, but I usually lose the fruity tones of the beers in the earthy flavors of the tobacco.

agreed fruit is lost with a nice padron... Stone Smoked porter is heaven when i can get both in same sitting!

or a duck-rabbit milk stout! with a padron!
I can get those down at the corner brew shop! just not reg padron... hoyo excalibers work too!

Fuente Hemingways work better with hoppy fruiter ales. Spicy hops I go to a Romeo y Julieta cedar wrap #5... worked well with Sam Nobel pils!

Well, well, well. I think we know who likes teh tobaccoz on this board... Maybe someone with the ability to regrow lost limbs?

oh man, I love me some good cigars with some good drinks. let's see, what do i like:

CAO Italia and CAO Brazilia with a spicy porter or saison
Rocky Patel 90's and 92's with a good 15+ yr scotch
Rocky Patel Sungrown with a saison or dubbel/tripel
Carlos Torano Virtuos with IPA

Philly Blunt with Natty Ice

I love my cigars as much as my beer, so I usually pair just as one would imagine, following simple criteria, Light bodied cigar, light beer, full bodied, spicy cigar, great with darker, heavier beer with spicy pepper notes, etc. I just had to name some of my favorites.

I'm about as far from a cigar aficionado as you can get, but I had a Macanudo Gold Label Tudor with a double IPA... I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for all your great feedback.

I'm sure to try a bunch of these combos, but this time I'm thinking of brewing an IPA using Chinook whole hops and medium smoked oak chips - paired with a Cuban (Romeo y Julieta) Can't wait to try them together.

I'm sure to try a bunch of these combos, but this time I'm thinking of brewing an IPA using Chinook whole hops and medium smoked oak chips - paired with a Cuban (Romeo y Julieta) Can't wait to try them together.

I have done this, go lightly on the oak chips. :drunk:

Mine had a two glass limit because of the headache/hangover that it provided. the 1.099 OG didn't help much either

It paired well with a Full flavored stick and the "infused" ones as well

I second BucksPA on the CAO Brasilia with a nice porter. Also CAO's MX2 works well, especially with a nice nitro stout.

cuban romeo's are head spinners! Chinook IPA and Oak should be great! Neutral yeast nothing too fruity... Can I come & drink and smoke with you! :mug: my Cuban connection fell through!

I love Acid Blondies with just about any beer. Actually anything from Drew Estate I like, usually are a sweet flavored cigar and go well with a wheat beer or a beer thats hoppy...

Personally though, I shy away from cigars, prices are high and I don't have a humidor for long term storage...

I love Acid Blondies with just about any beer. Actually anything from Drew Estate I like, usually are a sweet flavored cigar and go well with a wheat beer or a beer thats hoppy...

Personally though, I shy away from cigars, prices are high and I don't have a humidor for long term storage...

sams' club had some nice starter humidors last time I was there... (bought my office box there 12 years ago~ still going strong) My home box is a custom made box from a friend based on his grand fathers negative box all cherry cedar lined good dial gauge and humid unit. have some 15 yr old cigars in there as fresh as the day they where rolled. I look after my boxes like my gardens! water often!

One the best parings I've had so far was a Tatuaje RC184 and a Troegs Javahead stout. I haven't found a IPA that I think pairs well with cigars yet. I think the hop bitterness and aroma clash with the woody and spicy flavors of cigars. Plus highly carbonated beers and cigars create what I feel is unpleasant nucleation of the tobacco stunned taste buds. So that leaves me with low carbonation malty brews for my smokes.

Found a new pairing.... Macanudo Robusto and Sam Adams Black Lager. Brings out the caramel candy-like taste of the lager and complimented by earthy flavors.

I know Mac's are mild, but I'm not much of a cigar officianado at this point. I'm sure like most smokers I will move onto bigger and better things. Next stop is a Macanudo Maduro and a Chocolate or Coffee Stout.

i enjoyed a cuban the other night that a friend offered me a few puffs on.

That is just disgusting, I got sick to my stomach just reading that. My cigars tend to get pretty moist while drinking.

Back on topic I like a rich Maduro with whatever is on my Nitro tap (stout or porter). The silky feel of the nitro beer tends to rinse the mouth better between puffs

That is just disgusting, I got sick to my stomach just reading that. My cigars tend to get pretty moist while drinking

I'm not the guy you replied to but that moist thing itself sickens me and my cigars never get soaking wet from my lips. I've seen some that practically slobber and chew the end of their stogies - ewwww!! I always drink beer when I smoke cigars (basically 1 daily with a day skipped here and there) and I personally wipe my lips after taking a swig, even when not having a cigar. When I smoke the draw end remains totally dry. His friend probably does the same.

That aside, I don't have a particular pairing but Maduro's are my favorite too, that and box pressed. My top favorite cigars are Padron, La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Hammer (a vitola only on Holts.com), And Oliva Masterblend 3. Rocky Patel Decade's, while somewhat mild, are also rather awesome.

Rev.

A mild creamy cigar with a hoppy IPA, such as rocky patel ledge lite with a DFH60, and a heavy robust smoke like an opus X lost city with a lighter beer. Or just skop the beer and wash the cigar down with some expensive scotch. I usually burn a few sticks and drink a couple few many scotches on brewdays!

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

Back