Beer alcohol vs yeast alcohol tolerance - carbonation in danger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseM

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Going to mash in a few days, decided to try M76 Bavarian Lager.
Searched and found a few sites mentioning its alcohol tolerance is 8%.

So, I believe it's possible to go over 8% with this yeast, however, is it also possible that too much alcohol will kill the yeast and when I bottle, it won't carbonate as the yeast is dead?

Any experiences here what could potentially happen? :)

Cheers and thanks,

Jesse

Imperial Lagers are difficult to make. If you have enough hardy yeast to properly ferment it out; you should have enough to carbonate it once you raise the temperature.
The hardest part will be getting to FG, if you must you can always use a champagne yeast to carbonate.

Be sure you are using a yeast calculator and are starting with the right amount of yeast:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Well, I'm just curious if it could happen; too much alcohol killing the yeast?

If so, then I'll just use a little less malt or target for lesser efficiency. Also, I'm probably going to mash in higher temps to get a good sweet body for my rauchbier. that should also help! :)

It doesn't necessary kill the yeast, but most will stop eating due to alcohol toxicity.
The high starting OG will also inhibit yeast cell multiplication, some sort of sugar toxicity. This also causes yeast stress that will result in some ester production.
So starting with too little yeast will be a problem.

A rauchbier is traditionally a lager; however unless you are really good/experienced at brewing lagers I would advise you to look into an ale yeast.
A Koelsch yeast like WLP029 is very lager-like and can be brewed in the low 60s and has a slightly higher ABV tolerance.

Lager it is! I've small fridge that should work for temp control (using it first time now), one of the reasons I picked M76 yeast is because it can ferment as low as 47 degrees.
And once it starts to ferment, it should generate some heat, so I think it's good.

Anyway, I'm planning to lager in bottles instead of secondary. I don't mind my beer a bit cloudy, though I think it clears up in bottles quite well as well. Time will tell!

But yeah, I will most definitely target either low mash efficiency or simply use fewer malts this time around. Will target for 7% which would be great and I should be safe. :)

Back