Beer Alchemy Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I downloaded the latest Beer Alchemy update without realizing that you need 10.6 to run it. Since I have 10.5.8, I can no lnger open Beer Alchemy on my Mac. Anyone know a fix? Kent Place on the air?

umm, update to 10.6 maybe?

Not trying to be a smart ass,but that would be the fastest way, and it would set you up for the next OS X release

Tim

This is probably the largest collection of Beer Alchemy users... so I'm going to try and get a response to my question (which BA developers have failed to adequately answer).

Has anyone been able to calculate batch sparge volume and temperatures accurately using Beer Alchemy?

berebrando said:
This is probably the largest collection of Beer Alchemy users... so I'm going to try and get a response to my question (which BA developers have failed to adequately answer).

Has anyone been able to calculate batch sparge volume and temperatures accurately using Beer Alchemy?

Yes, I used to, but I have been away from brewing for over a year, and would have to dig back through the app. I use both the iPad app and the mac program.

For batch sparging, you need to know your system losses and for the strike and infusion temps you need to know your thermal mass. There is a place in the app to detail your system I formation, I think....

For your thermal mass, there are a few spots on the web that will walk you through the process of determining it. If you use a cooler, and you preheat you can use 0 for the thermal mass.

I used few different apps and such until I got it all balanced out in BA. Brew target and CP's brew sheet have been really big helps

Tim

umm, update to 10.6 maybe?

Not trying to be a smart ass,but that would be the fastest way, and it would set you up for the next OS X release

Tim

Don't do it. 10.6 sucks from my perspective and from the perspective of everyone I know who has "upgraded". It's not really better to use, and you pay a heavy price in resources and maturity. And you cannot go back easily once you upgrade.

Cromwell said:
Don't do it. 10.6 sucks from my perspective and from the perspective of everyone I know who has "upgraded". It's not really better to use, and you pay a heavy price in resources and maturity. And you cannot go back easily once you upgrade.

Really, I had no issues with snow leopard. Lion I could have skipped, and iwill wait for the second update to install mountain lion

Fixed. He actually emailed me the link that brew-n-que posted.

berebrando,

I set my batch sparge parameters awhile back, but have been dead on ever since with both volumes and temps. Are you sure your sparge volume is the problem and not boil off? Are you coming up over or under? Have you checked your thermometers? Initially I thought my temps wee off but found it to be my thermometers.

Beer Alchemy works perfectly for me, so I haven't changed anything in about 3 years since I got it dialed in for all grain. That's why this incident scared me! Thankfully I didn't even lose my recipes.

Are you sure your sparge volume is the problem and not boil off? Are you coming up over or under? Have you checked your thermometers?

I had originally posted my concerns here, but have since dialed it in. I used the mash instructions this past weekend and it worked out great (save for a degree or two).

I was originally concerned because (a) beeralchemy was telling me to mash out with 5.4 gallons boiling, and (b) brewpal was telling me to raise the temperature of the grain bed with 3.9 gallons at 201F. The two didn't add up, but it clicked: the beeralchemy mash out is calculated with the entire mash volume included, and the brewpal sparge is calculated with the mash volume drained to the kettle. Once I realized this, everything was smooth. My mentality just needed to switch over from brewpal's sparge schedule to beeralchemy's mashout.

I am going to run in to a problem with mash volume, though - added 5.4 boiling gallons to my mash tun nearly maxed out my half-bbl tun last weekend. It would be nice if beeralchemy had an option to switch from a mashout to a no-mashout schedule, in order to brew bigger beers.

I need to calculate the thermal mass of my tun (converted 15.5 gallon keg) and I think I'll be totally dialed in.

Back